When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's The Biggest Rust Bucket You've Bought And Brought Home?

-
I can't say I've had anything quite a glamorously rusted as some of these posted already , but I did pick up a fairly rusty Monark Super Deluxe . Here's a few photo's as purchased. 🤓

IMG_20181108_103958651.jpg

IMG_20181108_104018659.jpg

IMG_20181108_104053121_HDR.jpg

IMG_20181108_104117377.jpg

IMG_4331.JPG

IMG_4338.JPG

IMG_4340.JPG

IMG_4344.JPG

I no longer own this bike but it was probably one of the most pitted(see picture#3)-yet cool looking-motorbikes I brought home! The screws holding the tank straps on were so rusty that the tank-strap-screws were fused together! By a miracle the door and hinge worked perfect-inside of tank had original areas of maroon paint in places. Guy I sold it to was a 'crusty freako' and was nuts about it. Crusty but cool-rode great.

Last edited:
So far, @tacochris is in the lead...by a mile!! Some of the bikes look they were being held together by a prayer when he got them. 🙏

What do I win? A tetanus shot? Lol

Honestly i think, the rougher they are, the more excited I get about bringing it back. The challenge is the best part to me. Seeing something go down the road that should never have been saved by "collector standards".

@tacochris I like a challenge also...but you've taken it miles past that 🤣

And at this point, I actually like working on them to bring them back even better than riding them!
I agree! The challenge and the build is way more rewarding than the finished product in most cases. When one is done I start unconsciously looking for another one to save to start it all over again.

This 41 dx was advertised as a post office bike cheap.. this bike used on the Puget sound naval yard during WW2.. Seat post and goose neck was rusted solid with wrong chain ring crank and wheels.. 6months of oiling and tapping with a mallet on the goose neck and seat post till it broke free so I can

save the military yellow paint..have the yellow front fender but it's a Columbia ww2..still a work in progress

Back