When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the Story on These Odd Rims?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Brian R.

Wore out three sets of tires already!
These came to me with a 1930s track bike in a trade in place of the original varnished wood rims it should have had. They are 36 hole, 1" wide, take 28 x 1 1/2 glue-on race tires, and have a wood core with sheet metal outer cover. There are no markings. A frame builder I know with 60+ years in road bikes has never heard of such rims.

I hope someone can help with the following: the time period (about what year to what year, or decades they were used); the type of bike - track or road or both; if they came as stock on new bikes or were sold as aftermarket replacements or upgrades; how common they were; the typical finish - painted frame color, black, silver, or left as bare steel? I plan to use them if I can, but what are they worth? - I'm curious.

Please and thank you.
-B
20180727_095219.jpg

20180727_095236.jpg

20180727_095247.jpg

Metal clad wheels. Don't know much about them other than that they came out decades prior. Wood wheels persisted in racing bikes long after they were gone from the regular scene (aluminum finally did them in). I don't know about metal clad wood wheels on race bikes, but I would think they could be original.

Back