When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's up with this 85 Columbia reproduction?

-

Jim Barnard

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Is this a weird situation, or did this repro corrode in a different way that the original bikes did? Either this was not primed before painting, used poor quality metal or was kept in a shed full of lye.

I like a bit of patina (I dated her sister) but this is too much.

Comments?

Doesn't look like a re-pop to me (don't know these bikes too well) with those lightning darts and supreme pedals, but maybe that's what someone was going for and left it in the salt water vat just a little too long...

Doesn't look like a re-pop to me (don't know these bikes too well) with those lightning darts and supreme pedals, but maybe that's what someone was going for and left it in the salt water vat just a little too long...
Huh. I saw the hub and assumed repro...

There is one idea of why this might have happened that came to my mind. What if someone clear-coated over the paint and used an incompatible clear coat? That would cause that to happen.

Last edited:
Back