When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's your ideal antique bike?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

kenji

Finally riding a big boys bike
My ideal antique rider would have:
a standard men's diamond frame with a seat post
pneumatic tires
not a fixie (be able to coast)
brakes other than rubbing on the tire
chain drive
a bottom bracket with loose bearings or cage with replacemet parts on the open market
a common head set/ stem setup
quality workmanship and materials
be mass produced in great numbers back in the day
from the 1890's to WW1
so what is my bike?
does it exist?

Pretty much anything after the early 1890's would work- coaster brakes first showed up around 1898, but I've heard the stopping power was not great. Earliest I've actually ridden was a New Departure Model A, which was on the weak side. Any caged bearings can be replaced with loose balls. If you like a bike, buy it!

Pretty much anything after the early 1890's would work- coaster brakes first showed up around 1898, but I've heard the stopping power was not great. Earliest I've actually ridden was a New Departure Model A, which was on the weak side. Any caged bearings can be replaced with loose balls. If you like a bike, buy it!
i was looking for answers along the lines of "a chicago crecent is the bike for you" or some such... you know actual bikes...
this ND hub was it rebuilt, NOS or just old?

well i was gonna wait to say but i've got a late 1940's brit bike on the way
(look for a BSA 3 spd. on the light weight forum)
so the next one i'll be looking for will be a MARICAN bike
made in th you ess ay, none of this furun stuff
usa-flag.gif

have t say my 1952 raleigh superbe. it has the 3spd with a neutral, rear dyno and battery tube light set up. that is a great riding bike. I love it...

56" Rusolid rubber tyres. Like all the best bicycles of the time, it had one spoon brakedge Light Roadster or New Rapid, or Singer Apollo, or G&J American Light Champion..
The Singer Apollo of 1888? Solid rubber "tyres" spoon brake, seat post dosen't go into seat tube etc. Got a latter model?
56"? that"s a high wheel ordinary bike huh?G&J American Light Champion, same....?
thread drift, people?!??
show me my bike:mad:

Back