When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's your ideal antique bike?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Are you asking me what my ideal is or you want me to answer what yours should be? I don't understand what you are saying.

read my original post
does my ideal bike exist?

not what it should be
or what yours is

after you tell me if mine exists or not then argue my false supposition

maybe this is close?
1694415_2B70W18GA.gif

Just about any of the men's bikes in the 1890s would fit the description as long as you converted them to a coaster brake

I've had a hankering for a Barnes White Flyer for myself, but what you are describing is any post-1900 bike BUT they might have non-standard headset and bottom bracket sizes. Any Iver Johnson is a fine machine, and there's one on eBay right now with a reasonable buy it now.

My ideal antique rider would have:
a standard men's diamond frame with a seat post - Yes
pneumatic tires - yes
not a fixie (be able to coast) - yes
brakes other than rubbing on the tire
chain drive - yes
a bottom bracket with loose bearings or cage with replacemet parts on the open market - yes
a common head set/ stem setup - yes
quality workmanship and materials - oh yes!
be mass produced in great numbers back in the day - yes
from the 1890's to WW1 - no
so what is my bike? Iver Johnson
does it exist?

I was going to suggest an Iver Johnson but I thought that would be a slanted view. Since you mentioned you had an eye on the IJ on the bay, I thought I would chime in. That one is very similiar to mine. In fact, I threw a bid on it last week.

Attachments

• DSC_0010.jpg
    DSC_0010.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC_0026.jpg
    DSC_0026.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 47
it's over

The ND Model A was old, but regreased and new bearings. It just does not have a lot of braking area. Bikes are pretty simple machines, and you will be pleasantly surprised by the quality of ca. 1900 bicycles. Heres a link to a similar question at the Wheelmen which recommended an English bike because they have brakes that work and use common tires.
http://thewheelmen.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3462&SearchTerms=raleigh

looks like you are right... the single pneumatic tire is a pain:
Quote:
Patents, Profits, & Perceptions
The Single-Tube Tire and the Failure of the American Bicycle, 1897–1933
Paul Rubenson
"The single-tube story finally ended in 1933, when forward-thinking Schwinn introduced detachable balloon tires on his breakthrough B 10-E. Shortsighted business practices and consumer complacency had undermined a promising technology for forty years. Within a year, the single-tube all but vanished from the market."

because of this tire problem i'll call this quest a bust and look for a english clubman
But if a early era bike with stock clenchers should come my, way i'd reconsider

Back