When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wheel building class..How much would you pay?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Sven

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
There is a class offered by a not so near (an hour or mire away) bike shop. The instructor is a highly distinguished wheel builder. The course is one on one, and you can come back anytime afterwards to refresh your skills at no charge. The cost is $399 , if you buy the needed components at the shop..or $499 if you buy, elsewhere.. ln addition you need to purchase his two videos prior to class -$50

So its around $450 to $550.
Worth it or not?

no. if you only plan on building vintage wheels there is no need to take a class. our wheels are very forgiving. you tube is good enough. spend that money on a quality truing stand and a spoke tension gauge

if I were to wanting to build high end road bike wheels for money then it may be worth it

That seems pretty steep to me. You may want to see if there is a community bicycle shop or co-op that offers classes first. I wouldn't pay that much to learn it.
Good luck!

I thought it was very pricey myself. I have the tools (a truing stand , dishing tool, spoke tension gauge, nipple driver......)I have the basics.
Lacing a wheel is no problem. Truing a rear free wheel hub is some what of a b#tch for me. I get it laterally and radially true, and the dish is off.
Dishing screws me up, I have to remember that I am moving the hub over not the rim. Fix the dish issue and it is out of whack laterally, correct that and the radial is out of true.
It's a whole lot of give and take and patience. I have to walk away . Then I think really hard about taking it to my LBS to deal with it..$40.
A class for$550 ..nope.

This guy is pretty thorough and easy to understand. There are so many HOW TO youtube vids on anything that are totally worthless and finding a good one on your specific HOW TO can be frustrating.

You are right about that video. He does a great job of explaining.
But when I need to adjust the dish, I'm like a deer in the headlights at times.
I need to draw a diagram of hub movement requirements.

Wheel building is an art I haven't learned yet, but would like to. I do think that some hands on training would be great. There are lots of talented people out there.
Shawn M.

Back