When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wheel building class..How much would you pay?

-
Sure, I wouldn’t mind learning how to lace hubs, honestly I would rather pay someone to do it for me!
What’s the average cost To have a hub installed!!!

As a kid I learned to build wheels simply by looking at other wheels and figuring it out as I went. Now with all the tutorials on youtube you can learn anything. Save your money and get a good truing stand as a tension gage. Best of luck on your new wheels.

Sure, I wouldn’t mind learning how to lace hubs, honestly I would rather pay someone to do it for me!
What’s the average cost To have a hub installed!!!
Bike Doctor in Waldorf Maryland
Wheel build - $80 labor , shop supplies and parts additional
True, Tension , Dish - $35 + $5 shop supplies

never laced a wheel until I jumped into this hobby,first time I did tried to copy from an original ,was frustrating,then googled it and watched a few videos,not that difficult after you do a few,who wants to pay $80.00 to lace a wheel?not me.made a wheel tuner out of a old girls frame, works great.figured if I am in this hobby need to learn wheel building!

never laced a wheel until I jumped into this hobby,first time I did tried to copy from an original ,was frustrating,then googled it and watched a few videos,not that difficult after you do a few,who wants to pay $80.00 to lace a wheel?not me.made a wheel tuner out of a old girls frame, works great.figured if I am in this hobby need to learn wheel building!
Similar to your path, lacing wheels wasn’t something I saw myself doing but then came the journey this wood rimmed bike took me. A few vids and away I went. I agree, do it a few times (even if on the same wheel () and it gets easier.

Sven...come to Velocipede Bike Project in Baltimore and we'll teach you all the ins & outs of building for a measly $10 shop fee. Shop nights can get pretty busy, but arrange something in advance and I'm sure one of the staff can accommodate you. My colleagues and I run their education program and, if need be, I'll come in on a Sunday afternoon to work with you one-on-one. I may not be as slick as this other guy, but I can build a wheel and I work cheap.

100 West 22nd Street
in Baltimore, MD

Everyones experiance may be different, but about 20-25 years ago I saved up and ordered a custom wheelset out of a online order shop in California. (I wont bash the shop by name as there prices were great, but there service was absoultely terrible. They are lucky I'm so easy going as I often find it easier to fix problems myself than have to deal with other people, and they managed to get several orders from me). I picked the hubs, the spokes, and rims all individually.

When the package arrived at my door, I did get a complete wheelset with all the parts I ordered, but was very disapointed in the way the parts were put together. I ended up needeing to readjusting everything myself. That was my first and last experiance ordering custom wheels. (At the time it did not bother me too much, because after some home brewed tinkering I was able to fix the problems, and got alot of joy out of those wheels).

I honestly think they just slapped the components ordered together. and payed no attention to providing a servisable wheel even though they claimed to be experianced. There main goal was to just sell, and get it out the door.

I feel anyone with a basic knowledge of tools could build a set of wheels. Maybe not from scratch, but could improve upon the product I recieved all those years ago.

For the cost of the class, you can get yourself a nice set of production wheels, and watching youtube videos might be equally informative and also free.

Last edited:
If you can apprentice at a LBS, that is the best! Hands on training, access to nice tools, free used parts to practice on. You gain knowledge for FREE, and the LBS gets free labor to improve their bottom line.

Back