When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wheel identification

-

Barry G

On Training Wheels
Hello,
I am new here and have a question that someone can answer. At the antique car flea market in Hershey, PA this week I picked up a set of 4 old bicycle wheels. I would like to know what vintage they might be. They are rusty and I do not see any markings on them and wouldn't know where to look anyway. I am posting some photos and casn take more if that would help. Thanks for any info you can provide. Barry

Wheel 1.JPG

Wheel 3.JPG

Wheel 4.JPG

probably sulky, cart, buggy or wheelchair
it's odd that the rim has 7 (maybe8) holes for the tube valve to go through

Hello,
I am new here and have a question that someone can answer. At the antique car flea market in Hershey, PA this week I picked up a set of 4 old bicycle wheels. I would like to know what vintage they might be. They are rusty and I do not see any markings on them and wouldn't know where to look anyway. I am posting some photos and casn take more if that would help. Thanks for any info you can provide. Barry

View attachment 1492892

View attachment 1492893

View attachment 1492894
What are the diameters?

What are the diameters?
They are 28" diameter, 40 spoke. My reason for buying them is our Model T club is building a replica of Henry Ford's 1896 Quadricycle. These are exactly the same size as the four "bicycle" wheels he used. I don't believe the extra holes are for valve stems. Many very early automobile wheels used integral tire/tubes with extra "stems" that passed through the rim and held the tire/tube assembly to the rim. I think these may have the same arrangement, though I'm just guessing.

Back