When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wheel Lacing HELP!? 4 Cross Pattern

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

MBL

Finally riding a big boys bike
Hello all. I need some help from the collective wisdom of the forum. I am lacing a high flange Schwinn hub with the expander brake into my 36 hole S2 rims. I followed a video where a British woman easily explains how to do what I believe is a 3-cross pattern. I followed it and it seems that my spokes are too long for this pattern with the high flange....then I read that you need to do a 4-cross patter with the high flange hub.

If this is the case, can someone explain the difference in the lace up? Is there a good instructional video for it?
Thanks for any suggestions!
Tim
MBL

doesn't matter what you want to do. But to cross 4 you need 10 5/8 spokes which from what your saying sounds like that size. i have a thread on how to lace up a rim.

This Is goos stuff! Thanks! Figured it out kinda...I keep getting it to where the valve stem isn't in one of the bigger openings. ugh!?

YouTube video

I watched this YouTube vidio the other night. Because of the 'hassle of the holidays' I haven't been able to try it yet, but it seemed easy enough to follow so it makes it seem like it's something that is feasible for an old fart like me who's never attempted this yet.

Good luck. If you use this as a guide, let us know how you did and if it was helpful.

Ed

PS - When looking for part 2 of the videoes, find 2.1. In 2.1 there will be a link at the very end to take you to 2.2. Then there's a part 3 where the wheel is trued.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTb3x5VO69Y

Last edited:
I watched this YouTube vidio the other night. Because of the 'hassle of the holidays' I haven't been able to try it yet, but it seemed easy enough to follow so it makes it seem like it's something that is feasible for an old fart like me who's never attempted this yet.

Good luck. If you use this as a guide, let us know how you did and if it was helpful.

Ed

PS - When looking for part 2 of the videoes, find 2.1. In 2.1 there will be a link at the very end to take you to 2.2. Then there's a part 3 where the wheel is trued.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTb3x5VO69Y

Ed, These are great videos and the spoke calculator is amazing. Very easy to understand and well explained. Thanks for sharing. This changed my mind about going ahead & building my own.

Cross 3 is the most common pattern in general. There are lots of resources about cross 3 36 spoke builds. The English used cross 4 on their rear wheels usually, which allowed them to use the same length spokes on a short flange front hub and a higher flange rear hub. The only major change I would make to the original patterns would be to interlace the spokes for added strength.

The question of the opening where the valve is will depend on where you start your hub-rim alignment. Getting the key spoke right is helpful.

My starting point:

http://sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html

1356647545-1.jpg

I think I got it! Now just to true it. I have a feeling it won't ever be perfect but eh. Good enough for me.
Tim
MBL

1356647545-1.jpg

I think I got it! Now just to true it. I have a feeling it won't ever be perfect but eh. Good enough for me.
Tim
MBL

great! 4 cross is too much for this wheel (adds stress to nipples because spoke angle is too big), but good job anyway. :o

Aren't I forced to use the 4 cross due to the large flange hub? I am sure I read this somewhere before.
Tim
MBL

Back