When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wheel Lacing HELP!? 4 Cross Pattern

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
These all came 4x from the factory, that's how they did it back then. Coaster hubs, small front hubs, expander hubs, all 4x, allowed them to use the length spokes. Your wheel is laced correctly.

Bicyclebones on eBay recently started reproducing the axle assembly for these, not sure if you need this stuff, but it's way easier than trying to chase down original cones and nuts for these hubs.

Also: Oliver typewriter in the background?

Cheers, Geoff

Thanks for the clarification! I think my cones and everthing are ok. The wheel is not true at this point by a bit. I am not sure if truing it will work, or if the rim is egg shaped. I guess I will find out.

And yes, good spot on the Oliver No5! It is an early model without the backspace lever.
Tim
MBl

I don't want to piss off anyone, but "original" doesn't mean it's the best way to go.
IMHO 3 cross would be better.

but what do I know... :rolleyes:

Ok, well I got a spoke wrench, and I tightened things up while spinning it around in a spare fork I had laying around. I got the rim to be fairly true side to side woble is minimalized; however, the wheel appears to be slightly out of round. Is there anything that can be done about that?
Tim
MBL

Yes, I have a thread on here that has a link to a book called, "it's easy to fix your bicycle" and it has a section that shows u how to get the egg shape out. Also my link for lacing up a wheel discusses truing a wheel. Sometimes it is easier to loosen them all up and try again. Make sure u are setting the nipples the same on the spokes. This centers the hub and from there if u need to pull the rim to one side it won't take the wheel out of round. Small minor corrections are key to making the rim true

Found the link! Thanks!

Here I am using a higgins fork as a truing stand...not the best but it is what I have available to me.

1356792608-1.jpg

What I wound up doing was lostening everything. Then I made all the spokes finger tight...then went around and turned each with a spoke wrench about the same amount....then tried to get it to be true. I found most of the egg shape came out of the rim. Perhaps the hub was not centered originally? Either way, I think this one may be done. Now to swap the new departure D hub into the rear wheel?!. Saving some money and learning as I go.
Tim
MBL

dude egg shaped is not good. it wont ride good and is possibly dangerous. it means the rim is too tight on one end. this is to be done once you have the correct crosses. if you dont do the crosses on the floor also. first you will need to loosen them up till they are all lose then slowly tighten them up till they meet the rim. i do this on the floor with the guts out. so the hub lays on the floor. i tighten them one at a time in one turn consession. i go around the rim doing this till i go around the rim. next i do the other side the same way. do this till the spokes are snugged up to the rim. make sure when you first start the nips are turned in the same consession (one turn at a time in the start). once you have them all up to the rim, put it on the truing stand. then do spokes in one direction first on one side skipping a spoke in the same one turn consession. then the other side in the same direction. then go back to the other side and do the spoke u skipped in the other direction. do this till they are tight now check to see if its leaning one way or the other if it is, turn the spokes on the opposite side till its pulled straight. check around then you will have it straight and check for egg shape. i say one turn for you till you get the hang of it. then you can do more down the line when you are used to it.

Last edited:
1356801637-1.jpg

Ok so I'm trying to get the rear hub done. It seems that since the hub is smaller the 4x doesn't work...but 3x shown here leaves the spokes too long. Any ideas? Should I be able to do a 4x on the new departure d hub?
Tim
MBL

Ok so I'm trying to get the rear hub done. It seems that since the hub is smaller the 4x doesn't work...but 3x shown here leaves the spokes too long. Any ideas? Should I be able to do a 4x on the new departure d hub?
Tim
MBL

How long are your spokes? S2 + 270mm + ND hub +4 cross should be a go...

Back