Wheelsize Question

This ad disappears when logged in

WetDogGraphix

I live for the CABE
Jul 29, 2015
West Coast
I've had this bike for a while. Recently put it together and noticed something odd about the wheelsize. It's a Marshall-Wells Zenith.
DSC_0743.JPG

Not sure of the year, @fordmike65 seems to think it's Snyder built. The first pic shows it with 26" wheels on it.

DSC_0742.JPG

The wheels & fenders are not original to the bike. Here are some pics of the rear fender mounts.
DSC_0794.JPG
DSC_0795.JPG

It seems that the 26ers are too small for the bike..Any input is appreciated....

SKPC

Finally riding a big boys bike
Feb 2, 2018
Utah - United States
This confuses me a bit. It seems the "transitional period" from 28 to 26 clincher was with the motorbike style bikes, but I am not sure about this. Apparently, you could run both wheel sizes using the fender spacers. Question for the experts. If these frames were able to run both wheel sizes, did they put shorter cranks on the 26" bikes because they were lower to the ground, or did the 26 ballooners (with tires) measure the same height as the 28 with tires? And, when did this transitional period end?

bricycle

I'm the Wiz, and nobody beats me!
Nov 18, 2009
Chicago area west
This confuses me a bit. It seems the "transitional period" from 28 to 26 clincher was with the motorbike style bikes, but I am not sure about this. Apparently, you could run both wheel sizes using the fender spacers. Question for the experts. If these frames were able to run both wheel sizes, did they put shorter cranks on the 26" bikes because they were lower to the ground, or did the 26 ballooners (with tires) measure the same height as the 28 with tires? And, when did this transitional period end?
The latest 28" bikes I've seen were the 1937 Iver Johnsons and Elgin bicycles... there may have been others.

SKPC

Finally riding a big boys bike
Feb 2, 2018
Utah - United States
That's gonna ride nice with the big hoops/tires! Do the fenders still fit?

This ad disappears when logged in
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture