When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wheelsize Question

-

WetDogGraphix

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
I've had this bike for a while. Recently put it together and noticed something odd about the wheelsize. It's a Marshall-Wells Zenith.
DSC_0743.JPG

Not sure of the year, @fordmike65 seems to think it's Snyder built. The first pic shows it with 26" wheels on it.

DSC_0742.JPG

The wheels & fenders are not original to the bike. Here are some pics of the rear fender mounts.
DSC_0794.JPG
DSC_0795.JPG

It seems that the 26ers are too small for the bike..Any input is appreciated....

This confuses me a bit. It seems the "transitional period" from 28 to 26 clincher was with the motorbike style bikes, but I am not sure about this. Apparently, you could run both wheel sizes using the fender spacers. Question for the experts. If these frames were able to run both wheel sizes, did they put shorter cranks on the 26" bikes because they were lower to the ground, or did the 26 ballooners (with tires) measure the same height as the 28 with tires? And, when did this transitional period end?

This confuses me a bit. It seems the "transitional period" from 28 to 26 clincher was with the motorbike style bikes, but I am not sure about this. Apparently, you could run both wheel sizes using the fender spacers. Question for the experts. If these frames were able to run both wheel sizes, did they put shorter cranks on the 26" bikes because they were lower to the ground, or did the 26 ballooners (with tires) measure the same height as the 28 with tires? And, when did this transitional period end?

The latest 28" bikes I've seen were the 1937 Iver Johnsons and Elgin bicycles... there may have been others.

Back