When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wheelsmith Spokes (crap)

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Junkhunter

Finally riding a big boys bike
I've been building a few different wheel sets recently. I got some black stainless double butted spokes for Wheelsmith. I don't like them. Shouldn't the J bend be 90 degrees? I've had to re-shape every end because I didn't like them. It seems to me the shape of that J would be critical to the wear and tear on the hubs, and spokes themselves. Now I'm not riding competition racing bikes and putting a lot of torque on these things. if i was, there's no way I would ever use these. Attaching a pic so you can see what I'm talking about. Does anyone agree? Are these crap?
photo-135.jpg

I have built many wheels using this brand of spoke. They never have posed a problem for me as the spokes have to conform to the hub anyway whether it be a high or low flange type and the number of crossings. Just the act of tightening them up will bring them into correct alignment.

I've broken ONE wheelsmith spoke in 1,000 miles of riding that wheel (on a wood wheeler) I've built MTB wheels from them and never had a problem. Bending the spoke head to 90 degrees seems like something that will occur when tightening them up anyway. As long as that's what Wheel Fanatyk uses, I'll buy 'em. Wheelsmith Spokes - Not crap.

https://www.wheelsmith.com/technology/

SPECIALLY DESIGNED ELBOW
Wheelsmith spokes are “cold headed” with great accuracy, and marked with the distinctive “W”. Elbows are formed over a radiussed mandrel rather than a flat surface as with other popular spokes. This results in a larger bend radius, and preserves the round cross-section of the elbow. Consequently, Wheelsmith spokes require a minimum of bending to conform to a hub, thereby maximizing fatigue life.

Spokes are ok to be bent so long as you don't kink them. Sometimes it's necessary to bend a spoke into a curve when replacing a broken spoke. They straighten back out when you tighten them up. I'd venture to say you're not really accomplishing anything by spending extra time bending the spokes. After final tension and riding them you're putting much more force on them than bending them with pliers.

I didn't know they were made in the USA which makes me like them more! I'm trying to be concious of what I buy these days and it looks like I could now build a wheel with parts made entirely in the USA!

https://www.wheelsmith.com/technology/

SPECIALLY DESIGNED ELBOW
Wheelsmith spokes are “cold headed” with great accuracy, and marked with the distinctive “W”. Elbows are formed over a radiussed mandrel rather than a flat surface as with other popular spokes. This results in a larger bend radius, and preserves the round cross-section of the elbow. Consequently, Wheelsmith spokes require a minimum of bending to conform to a hub, thereby maximizing fatigue life.
Great info there. My concern with bending the elbow was because of the heat treat ,looks like "cold headed" erases that concern. Stainless steel can be very brittle so I was concerned with the makeup of the steel they used.

the spoke(s) NEEDS to rest on the flange .. they look long from head to bend and wrong angle

Which fit would you prefer? I understand what you're saying about them pulling up better when tightened, but that's not what I see. Maybe someone can post a pic of something to dispute my opinion. Maybe a wheel that has some mileage on it? I would much much rather buy USA made.
photo 2.jpg
photo 1.jpg

Back