When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When did crossbrace handlebars stop being equipped and or produced?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

kreika

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Hello Cabe. I was wondering when did handlebar manufacturers stop producing crossbrace handlebars? I believe they became popular in the late teens. Used till the war? Used postwar late 40’s? Thanks for any insight!

When I was a kid, the local Schwinn Cyclery sold cross brace handlebars for the Schwinn Sting-Ray.
That was the beginning of the BMX movement of the 1970’s.

One of the other local bike shops sold a lot of Wald aftermarket products, and I seem to remember that they also had a braced long horn SB bar available at that time.
So, I’m not sure, if they ever really stopped producing them?

Last edited:
When I was a kid, the local Schwinn Cyclery sold cross brace handlebars for the Schwinn Sting-Ray.
That was the beginning of the BMX movement of the 1970’s.

One of the other local bike shops sold a lot of Wald aftermarket products, and I seem to remember that they also had a braced long horn SB bar available at that time.
So, I’m not sure, if they ever really stopped producing them?
The bmx style with the padded top bar? I was thinking of the scout and more open cruiser style bars.

image.jpg

When did this type end?

But when did they stop being a factory installed item part on bikes like ELGIN / MEAD / HAWTHORNE / COLSON / FLYERS and others of course etc. 1930's?

Westfield used them well into the ‘50s on the Superbs. BTW I don’t believe they are correct on a Hex Tube
Yeah, I know. I bought it in the 90’s when I was first getting into the vintage bikes. Back then for me, it was about what was cool looking over anything else. Know idea what was right or wrong. That’s why I’ve loved getting back into it again. The wealth of knowledge now is so much more extensive. My Hex needs, bars, stem, pedals, tires, and saddle to be correct. Probably a few other things too. 😁

Just for the sake of conversation, Columbia had a cross braced bar on their 1961 torpedo model 1624. It’s a middleweight I know, but worth mentioning. It was a cool version that came with a two speed kickback as well. I don’t have a catalog page, but it’s out there. I found a pic from an eBay listing.

From what I've noticed, Schwinn phased them out for the most part by 1950. Braced bars were still standard factory issue on some models in 1948.

Back