When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When did the change from skiptooth to regular chain occur?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

TieDye

I live for the CABE
I am very curious as to which manufactures changed from skiptooth to regular chain first, and what year did each manufacturer do it. For example, I believe CWC Roadmasters made that change in 1954, and went to regular chain then. I felt it might be very interesting and informative if all the experts for different manufactures share that knowledge in this post. So, please feel free to share your knowledge. Thank you!

Deb

Snyder in '41, possibly a couple years earlier on top of the line models.
FB_IMG_1550512682831.jpg

I know others offered them much earlier in the teens like Mead. I'm sure there were others.

Last edited:
I am very curious as to which manufactures changed from skiptooth to regular chain first, and what year did each manufacturer do it. For example, I believe CWC Roadmasters made that change in 1954, and went to regular chain then. I felt it might be very interesting and informative if all the experts for different manufactures share that knowledge in this post. So, please feel free to share your knowledge. Thank you!

Deb
Deb I think most of the well known manufacturers made the switch about the same time.......I did have a Ladies 26 in. Schwinn....1953.....that still had the old style chain.......Its strange though.....sometimes You will see an early bike like a Shelby that came with a standard style chain........

Deb I think most of the well known manufacturers made the switch about the same time.......I did have a Ladies 26 in. Schwinn....1953.....that still had the old style chain.......Its strange though.....sometimes You will see an early bike like a Shelby that came with a standard style chain........
I had a ladies all original May 15, 1951 Hornet and it was regular chain. Hmmm.....

I want to say around '54 or '55 is when the last skip tooth chains were used. CWC, Schwinn and I want to say Shelby and possibly other companies were using them into the 50s.
Prior to that, both types of chain were used simultaneously for a long time.

It seems to be a somewhat common misconception that skip tooth = pre WWII. Same goes for rear facing drop outs with adjuster screws. A few companies were still using those into the 50s as well.

Take Schwinn for example, typically using 1/2" pitch on higher end models, and 1" on lower end models.

Back