When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When did they forget how to make tubes that hold air?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Recently removed this from something, good tube!

DSCF9743.JPG

DSCF9744.JPG

I heard some where that air molecules break down over time and that older tubes that have thicker rubber hold the air longer than thin wall tubes so maybe this theory has some merit...
I would have to agree. Have a 1944 Chevy fire truck on original BF Goodrich Tires, and had one bad tube when I first got it fired up. Would hold air for a day or 2 and then would be down a little. Decided to take all of the wheels apart and clean the rims so I knew that it wouldn’t be a problem down the road. All 6 original tubes were at least 3 times as thick and heavy as the new one. To quote everyone for the past 30ish years “They don’t make em like they used to”

I would have to agree. Have a 1944 Chevy fire truck on original BF Goodrich Tires, and had one bad tube when I first got it fired up. Would hold air for a day or 2 and then would be down a little. Decided to take all of the wheels apart and clean the rims so I knew that it wouldn’t be a problem down the road. All 6 original tubes were at least 3 times as thick and heavy as the new one. To quote everyone for the past 30ish years “They don’t make em like they used to”
I found an old Ford tire and wheel in a junk yard once for my 68 F100 truck that i used for a spare and it kept going flat, so i broke down the tire and found a Goodyear tube from the 60's and put a Bowes Seal Fast patch on it that i found in an old garage and put back together and it held air... Good tubes... 😝

Like new tires, I refuse to ride on new tubes...a month or so? out of the box? flat.
I save tubes that were holding air on orig bikes, old USA made tires..have a ton
of them. way better insurance policy than most new tubes I've wasted money on.
I refuse to ride on 'new' (china or where ever) repop tires mainly in keeping with
the authenticity of the bike. Only had one vintage/antique tire blow out on a ride.
Sad that the world has come down to profit over quality...same in so many departments.

My washer unit crapped out a month or so back. Was hitting Craigslist for a replacement and even
went to a shop that refurbs old washer and dryers. Dude told me if I'm buying used..get one
20 years old or so. The new $ are totally problematic junk. He was even stoked to buy
my non working 20 year old (cheapie CL score for 40 bucks that lasted 11 years) one back
to fix and resell. I ended up finding an older washer on Craigs for 50 bux locally...
thing works great. I am recycling and not contributing to the mass production of cheap
garbage selling for insane gouge the idiot consumer prices in retail outlets.
I agree 100%. I prefer to use vintage tubes ( even if patched) where I can.
On appliances I agree also. We have a 1970's vintage gas dryer in our basement/man cave bathroom and an equally vintage frig in the main room that just keeps rocking. The belt went last year on the dryer so I called an "old school" appliance repair place/they sell new units too. Dude who came here has been repairing over 40 years. Big guy to get his arms/body into the job!.Went to the trade right after high school.

I usually leave them alone to do their trade, but offer to help if they need. He welcomed another set of arms. He ( it wasn't easy because it's in the back of the drum/very little arm room/need to install by braille) struggled to get his arms in the back. He replaced the guides too. He looked at the belt.....hmnnnn? Discontinued. He might have one in his truck or garage at home. He ran the number. Discontinued again. He went to his truck, found the exact belt/with a number change up. BINGO!! Amazing. Under a $$hun for the service call and part. I told the dude he was a hero and I admire the work ethic and history he provides. It should last another 50 years!

IMG_4640.JPG

IMG_4641.JPG

IMG_4642.JPG

Last edited:
Back