When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When this color came through, I almost crapped...

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

lgrinnings

I live for the CABE
When I picked up this 1936 Rollfast Sport Motobike Model V-24 last year, I said to myself, "Hey, just clean it up the best you can." I found a catalog page online and saw that it originally came in 6 colors: Indian Red, Cobalt Blue, Black, Burgundy Red, Empire Blue, and Suntone Ivory. This Rollfast was mocha brown. On the underside of the bottom bracket I saw signs of red and it looked like it might be metallic. All of the chrome had also been painted black and looked rusty with the exception of the girls bars that had been swapped in at some point in its history.

I just recently sold the WD forebrake front wheel that came on the bike when I bought it and decided to finally clean it up. I stripped the black paint and soaked all the metal in oxalic acid. The bike's color didn't change. I was really bummed. I had the forks and was rubbing them down with some polish when I noticed more color coming through. I grabbed an old, spent red 3M sanding pad and started to wet sand the frame. Boom. The color that came through (Burgundy Red, which is almost metallic purple) surprised the crap out of me. It was enough to make me think I was working a Schwinn Stingray with that burst of color. Needless to say, my spirits brightened considerably and I continued to clean and scrub and polish. Now together, I can't believe it's the same bike.

I see a lot of these immaculate original or beautifully restored bicycles and say, "wow, I wish I had that." But in all honesty, I really love bringing these bikes back from the brink. Giving them new life. And while the finished product is certainly a source of joy, the process was equally as fun.

Before and after shots...

IMG_4187.JPG

IMG_4189.JPG

IMG_5344.JPG

IMG_5345.JPG

1936 rollfast cat 5.jpg

That OA bath really did a number on the seat! ;)
Amazing how well that cleaned up. Are you going to wax or put anything else on it to finish it off?

Back