When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When was disc brake put on Krate?

-

Bmoc101m1

On Training Wheels
Ok, I know there are a few different opinions out there but I saw a disc brake bike with the brake dated 1971. The frame on the bike was very early, March or April I believe. I have seen a few late 71s in person but never one with a disc. The 71 date on the actual brake I have never seen though.

Thanks

They were only 72-73. If you see one on another year it was out on after to make the bike cooler and more expensive

There have been documented original December frame dated Disc Krates... I have also personally had 1971 dated disc calipers and hubs.
Mark

The Schwinn Manta Ray made only for 2 years 71 and 72 had a disc brake option only in 72.

There have been documented original December frame dated Disc Krates... I have also personally had 1971 dated disc calipers and hubs.
Mark

Both my original 73s have discs dated 72. I had no idea the Mantas had optional disc brakes.

It wasn't an option on 72 manta rays it was standard and Dec 71 KRATES were the earliest I've ever seen as well

It wasn't an option on 72 manta rays it was standard and Dec 71 KRATES were the earliest I've ever seen as well

Any mid November thru December serial number was on a bike that was the next year's model and more than likely had a final build date at the first of the year. Schwinn like most other manufactures ordered any parts from suppliers well in advance so having a January 72 "built" bike with a 71 dated part would not be abnormal.

Last edited:
There's actually a dec 71 Orange Krate on EBay now. For a Ca bike that's supposedly never been outside its very very hammered. He wants 2k. Good luck

This is my December 1971 Disc Pea Picker. Pictures are from the day I got it and before I cleaned it up.

DSC00680-1.jpg

DSC00677-1.jpg

I am in agreement with those that sayeth the disc was really only on the Dec. '71's and later, until Oct. '73, which is the latest Krate I've personally seen. I seriously doubt that there are any Nov. '73's with a factory disc brake, although those were not '74 models, so maybe there were. I've just never seen a Nov. '73 Krate. Yes, Mantas were standard with disc brakes in '72.

Back