When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When was disc brake put on Krate?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
The 1972 Schwinn Catalog introduced and featured the Krate with Disc break as "New for '72" but as others have mentioned the first Krates with Disc rear break were released in Dec of 1971, just in time for Christmas, the Serial numbers start with "MG" and I have currently seen the Orange Krate and Lemon Peeler on eBay selling for $2,999 to$3,500 with mostly original parts and paint, they sold for $113.95 in 1972
1972_schwinn_15.jpg
1972_schwinn_krates.jpg

• C30-9 5-Speed Stik-shift Krate .... $113.95

If a bike has a December serial number there no way in hell that it was built, boxed up, shipped and then sold just in time for Christmas. There are so many made up unbelievable stories going around and the BS has spread world wide.

1st. A drop out component or head tube is stamped out of a piece of steel.
2nd. The drop out component is then stamped with a serial number and the head tube is stamped, rolled, welded, cleaned up and then stamped with a serial number. The day that the serial number was stamped is the date that you see on the list.
3rd. Then the drop out or head tube was used to build a frame. And that was sometime after the recorded date of the SN stamping.
4th. The frame was then prepped for paint, then acid washed, primed, base coat if used and then finally painted the finished color.
5th. The finished frame was then built up to what ever model.
6th, The finished bike was rolled off the line, boxed up and later shipped to a dealer or one of Schwinn's distribution centers.

A bike was not built in a day. From the many 1976 and later examples that I have noted the shortest time span between the serial number date and the final build date stamped on the head badge was just under a month. Many, the majority, have had a two or three month span from the SN date to the build date. Saying a bike was built on the date that the serial number was stamped is totally false. There is no possible way to know when a bike was built until Schwinn started stamping the final build dates on the head badges. If your frame has an October, November or December 71 serial number it very well could have been built up in 1972 with the M code most definitely.

The 1972 Schwinn Catalog introduced and featured the Krate with Disc break as "New for '72" but as others have mentioned the first Krates with Disc rear break were released in Dec of 1971, just in time for Christmas, the Serial numbers start with "MG" and I have currently seen the Orange Krate and Lemon Peeler on eBay selling for $2,999 to$3,500 with mostly original parts and paint, they sold for $113.95 in 1972View attachment 375664 View attachment 375665

• C30-9 5-Speed Stik-shift Krate .... $113.95

Last edited:
To make a correction to my earlier statement the grey ghost of 71 had the disc brake. I bought a disc brake wheel stamped 71 that came off a grey ghost part out

To make a correction to my earlier statement the grey ghost of 71 had the disc brake. I bought a disc brake wheel stamped 71 that came off a grey ghost part out
No, the '71 Grey Ghost was not made. That would've been a '72 model. There are no real Grey Ghost disc brakes, unless Schwinn just decided one day to change around all their production practices to make a special Grey Ghost for those future collectors to ooh and ahh over. Dec. of each year was always next years models. They should be found with Dec. '70 to Nov. '71-dated serial numbers on them. No disc brakes were on any Nov. '71 bikes. The '71-dated brakes, of which I have one hub, were dated WAY before they were used. I think there may be 2 different dated '71's? I'll have to check the hub. I have seen at least 2-3 '73-dated hubs.

So here's something I just noticed a few weeks ago. I know that the bikes in the catalogs are usually pre-production and have some things airbrushed out but the Grey Ghost in the 1971 catalog has no rear caliper and sure looks like it has a disc brake on it...

1971_schwinn_krates.jpg

Reactions: 7Up
I know the Ghost pic from the '71 catalog is an old post, but sure cracks the code - no doubt that is a disc and no rear brake

Back