When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

when was the last time you saw a brand new Streamliner?

-
These bikes are obvious restorations and as Bob pointed pointed out not necessarily accurate or top quality. 95% of the people that walk in and see these will never know the difference. Still a good looking group of bikes. V/r Shawn

It was the Western Flyer X-53 Super Deluxe that
came in a carton from Western Auto store.
Would've loved to supply fotos.... but back then
smartphones with built-in cameras did not exist
and was not allowed to use the family Kodak camera.

Btw: All my original Schwinns have rivets on
the fender braces.
The only one that uses nuts and bolts is my
1995 Anniversary Black Phantom. ;)

image.jpeg

That looks like a 39 fender with correct wiring harness for that year, but the braces are 36 flat stock.
The tank looks 37/38.
Definitely a mish mash of parts from different years.
It may have all been originally made by Schwinn, but not all at the same time.
Still, great bikes, and we appreciate seeing them.

Definitely repainted bikes, I have seen all of these up close many times back in the 90s when the Schwinn HQ was in Boulder. Sadly they look more picked over now.

I'm amazed these bikes are somehow still part of the company.

If you have any '49 literature in that stash I'm sure many of us would be very interested. Particularly anything related to the introduction of the Phantom. I have '50 lit but the '49 stuff seems to be MIA. V/r Shawn

I believe ’49 was a transition year for Schwinn when the Phantom was introduced.
So far, 1950 is the first time I've seen promotion for the phantom model.

Screen Shot 2018-09-14 at 12.56.22 PM.png

1950_schwinn_phantom.jpg

Luxury equipment, includes chrome fender, cycelock, spring fork, special colors, and many other outstanding Schwinn exclusive features. Don't miss this bicycle at your dealer.

1949_16.jpg

LIT.png

Last edited:
Definitely repainted bikes, I have seen all of these up close many times back in the 90s when the Schwinn HQ was in Boulder. Sadly they look more picked over now.

I'm amazed these bikes are somehow still part of the company.

Local Schwinn shop has an original Phantom hanging from their ceiling.
It's faded and does not have the correct saddle.
The owner said that this is all he has from that time period and is happy
to display it.
This shop no longer uses Schwinn as part of the name for the store.:)

One question I have regarding the '49 or '50 Phantom...for the '49 stamped serial number bikes that I have seen (I own one original), the chain guard does not have the 'Phantom' decal, the 'Schwinn' decal on the tank is unique (regarding font), and the seat albeit leather does not have reinforced rivets. Is this true for the frames stamped with a '50 serial number? If not, then were the '49's a pilot/promotion that was ultimately committed as a marketed product in '50 and therefore omitted from '49 literature?

Back