When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where to find?

-

JimRoy

Wore out three sets of tires already!
I restore approx 10-12 prewar bicycles a year and a few weeks ago I started my first 1943 Huffman G519 restoration. I have quickly learned that the wheels are darn hard to find. I have everything else except for a correct Persons seat and a bag. The frame is currently at my frame builders getting some repairs. JimRoy

Yes, these are very hard to find. The only solution I have found is to build a set. You can find NOS military wheel. They are pricey. Expect between 2 to 300 for the pair. Get 10G spokes. Find some civilian hub and lace them up. Then keep looking for original military hubs. Last pair I saw sold for $900. I will have $500 into just a set of wheels once they are laced up. This using civilian prewar marrow hub drilled out for 10G spokes, and a Bendix heavy duty hub from a cycle truck or wizzer.

Yes, these are very hard to find. The only solution I have found is to build a set. You can find NOS military wheel. They are pricey. Expect between 2 to 300 for the pair. Get 10G spokes. Find some civilian hub and lace them up. Then keep looking for original military hubs. Last pair I saw sold for $900. I will have $500 into just a set of wheels once they are laced up. This using civilian prewar marrow hub drilled out for 10G spokes, and a Bendix heavy duty hub from a cycle truck or wizzer.

Thanks. I should have listened to Mrs. JimRoy and kept walking when i saw the old military bike frame for $125 . I will have well over a grand in the restoration .

How could you not buy it for that? I’d love to find a frame especially for that price.

Thanks. I should have listened to Mrs. JimRoy and kept walking when i saw the old military bike frame for $125 . I will have well over a grand in the restoration .[/QUO
Thanks. I should have listened to Mrs. JimRoy and kept walking when i saw the old military bike frame for $125 . I will have well over a grand in the restoration .

JimRoy -

I do have a correct Eclipse 'M' 36-10 rear hub, 36-10 front hub, and proper rims. I also have the seat frame and possibly the seat pan.

I should be done with my G519 tribute build in a couple of weeks. I completed the wheels today. The front wheel was easy to lace and true. Lacing the rear wheel Morrow hub was a beast. They are so nice I can't stop looking at them. I will mount the tires this weekend and post pictures. JimRoy

Wheels are done and drap:)
1A8D5241-D284-414C-8FA4-418A182FBCA8.jpeg

Back