When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where will you start your MTB collection?

-

KingSized HD

Wore out three sets of tires already!
There was a post in a thread on this forum once that questioned whether mountain bikes were collectible. I'd say if you have the right bike, especially an early/mid-eighties hand-brazed frame bike they are.I'd guess if you had an early original documented Mt. Tam bomber that would fetch good coin too.

Here's a recent sale the gives an indication: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335809022&icep_item=283607561307
(pic below) Sold as an off-road touring bike the 1985 Ritchey Annapurna (named after a peak in Nepal) was their top of the line and cost $1,495. Inflation-adjusted that's $3,550 in today's dollars. This one sold for $4,350 with 13 bids (3 bidders) And that's with surface rust, a non-stock seat post, no seat and no pedals (and those will cost another $200 to add). So the high end Ritcheys at least are holding their value.

So the next question is; What mountain bike are you itching to put in your collection?

1569025429403.png

Moutain biking is what really got me started in this hobby primarily between the mid to late 80's all the up to slightly past the millenium. The frames I have held onto may still be too new to be collectible as I was once on a constant upgrade path, but I do have alot of interesting early higher end parts that have been placed on my existing bikes.

When I have turned around to sell a few of them, I have done pretty well. Given my age I'm not much of a hardcore moutain biker anymore. I used to be able to fall and get back up. Some of those falls I took in those early years I would not be able to walk away from today. I currently have 4 of my orriginal MTB bikes with lots of aquired goodies, and 2 to 3 others I have picked up past my prime that are not built up to the same level, and are more basic.

Components Like Paul, Kooka, King, Cook Brothers, Real, have all held there value pretty well. There used to be so many cool brands to choose from I can't remmeber them all. If it was highend back in the day, there is still a decent market for it today. Some of the prices this stuff is going for would surprise you.

My cycling enthusiasm dropped somewhere around 2003 / 5, After my freinds started to loose interest. It took a knee injury to get me back in the game. After I hurt my knee I got back into cycling as it now one of the few low impact leg excercises I could still enjoy that does not bother me.

Last edited:
Here's my MTB wish list: I started with an '85 Ritchey Ascent I scored on CL before I even knew who Ritchey was. Now, I'd love to add a 1982 Specialized Stumpjumper in 23" but that'll be awhile. Also, a 1985 Schwinn Cimarron in 23". Both bikes are first year of production and that's a large frame so they don't come up often (not to mention they're usually pretty pricey in good condition).

I've been collecting and trading for a while.

Previously owned:
1990 Klein Attitude
91-93 Klein rascals (2)
91 Cannondale beast of the east
92 Kona Explosif
94 Yeti Arc
95 Ibis Mojo ti
96 Kona King kahuna ti team colors

Own
83 Ritchey Everest
88 Mountain Goat whiskeytown racer
95 Bianchi ti megatube