When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where's the best place to find a reasonably priced, rideable TOC bike?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I’ve be into antique bike a couple years now and from what I’ve seen $1000 is a basic diamond frame and u can spend as much as u want from there . If you post some pics of bikes you like mabe some members will tell you Around water running one would cost

I had wanted a TOC "rider" for quite some time and was fortunate to find a 1914 Peerless. I thought I could make the size fit and ride it with reasonable comfort. The bike had been repainted badly some years back but it was all there. I only collect original paint bikes but since this one was going to be a "rider", I bought it and invested in a restoration. Jeff Bock (custom builder in Ames, Iowa) and I found the original colors up in the headtube and Jeff redid the paint for me. I am very pleased with his work. I saved the original wood rims (and they will always stay with the bike. Laced old hubs to new wood rims from Noah Stutzman (Amish wheel maker in Ohio). His wheels are maple and have a metal rim inside the wood. That, obviously, gives extra strength and allows for the use of modern clincher tires. Used a new Brooks saddle and a new chain and some new foam grips. I'm pleased with how it turned out and I was able to ride a 100 mile/century ride on it at The Wheelmen Annual Meet on Mackinaw Island in August, 2021. I obviously have more than $1000 in it, but it's a ONE TIME project - the only bike I'm going to restore - and I plan to keep it until I can't ride any longer.

IMG_4276.jpg

Mackinaw OAST (1).JPG

I had wanted a TOC "rider" for quite some time and was fortunate to find a 1914 Peerless. I thought I could make the size fit and ride it with reasonable comfort. The bike had been repainted badly some years back but it was all there. I only collect original paint bikes but since this one was going to be a "rider", I bought it and invested in a restoration. Jeff Bock (custom builder in Ames, Iowa) and I found the original colors up in the headtube and Jeff redid the paint for me. I am very pleased with his work. I saved the original wood rims (and they will always stay with the bike. Laced old hubs to new wood rims from Noah Stutzman (Amish wheel maker in Ohio). His wheels are maple and have a metal rim inside the wood. That, obviously, gives extra strength and allows for the use of modern clincher tires. Used a new Brooks saddle and a new chain and some new foam grips. I'm pleased with how it turned out and I was able to ride a 100 mile/century ride on it at The Wheelmen Annual Meet on Mackinaw Island in August, 2021. I obviously have more than $1000 in it, but it's a ONE TIME project - the only bike I'm going to restore - and I plan to keep it until I can't ride any longer.

View attachment 1536823

View attachment 1536824
I Reeeally DIG those colors on that bike! I mean TOC stuff isn't my idea bike but You have a Looker Anyone Should be able to appreciate seeing at least. Ride the wheels off it 'til You can't ride No More! Hopefully many more years from Now ;)

I Reeeally DIG those colors on that bike! I mean TOC stuff isn't my idea bike but You have a Looker Anyone Should be able to appreciate seeing at least. Ride the wheels off it 'til You can't ride No More! Hopefully many more years from Now ;)
Thank you. I appreciate it. It was fun to find the original colors up in the headbadge/fork and the advertisement from the Sears catalog that showed the bike and gave some details. 1914 probably isn't technically TOC but I hope it's close enough. I definitely ride it...but frankly look for fairly flat ground and places where I am not likely to have to stop quickly. HA. Thanks again.

Thank you. I appreciate it. It was fun to find the original colors up in the headbadge/fork and the advertisement from the Sears catalog that showed the bike and gave some details. 1914 probably isn't technically TOC but I hope it's close enough. I definitely ride it...but frankly look for fairly flat ground and places where I am not likely to have to stop quickly. HA. Thanks again.
I fully understand all of that entirely hahaha. Better to take it easy and live another day for another ride ;)

I bet the grin on your face seein' the colors in the frame & then seeing them like new on the frame was Rocket Fuel to The Moon. I wouldn't stress the TOC too much .... We're right here at 2022 - years beyond 1800s & the early 1900s ;)

View attachment 1536823

View attachment 1536824
...and if you did the century ride dressed TOC style as in your photo I salute you!
Although I'm not a massive fan of restored bikes you've done a fantastic job of restoration and it's always nice to see how colourful some of those early bicycles actually were.
Long may you enjoy riding it.

...and if you did the century ride dressed TOC style as in your photo I salute you!
Although I'm not a massive fan of restored bikes you've done a fantastic job of restoration and it's always nice to see how colourful some of those early bicycles actually were.
Long may you enjoy riding it.
Thanks. I appreciate the kind remarks. Like you, I much prefer original paint but made an exception for this one as a "rider". I too was really surprised at the brightness of the original colors! And...to be clear, I rode the 100 in modern cycling clothes. The "period" clothes are only for the short (less than 20 mile) rides and parades. Ha. The picture was from our 10 mile "parade" around Mackinaw Island. Thanks again!

Back