When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which Schwinn models came with S-6 rims?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
This observation is by no means definitive or scientific but you'll find that say a JAN 1972 COLLEGIATE will have the S5 Westrick rim (visible middle hump.......See Rivnut's chart above) and say a DEC 1972 COLLEGIATE will have the S6 Endrick rim (smooth middle section.....See Rivnut's chart above).

Just based on having owned and collected many Collegiates that simply based on that I believe that SCHWINN stopped using the S5 Westrick at somepoint in late calendar year 1972, as all the NOV 1972 and DEC 1972 COLLEGIATES that I have seen have the S6 Endrick, and every Collegiate that I've seen from most of 1972 are the S5 with the hump-Westrick style.
So for at least the five speed Collegiates that I have seen, I think the (Collegiate) sixties models to well beyond mid-year 1972, near the end of 1972 perhaps all feature S5 Westrick style rim.

I find no difference in ride quality or durability between the two styles.

It is much easier to clean up corrosion and get a SMOOTH S6 Endrick style rim cleaned up and spiffy clean than it is to clean up a S5 HUMP S5 Westrick. My observation is the SMOOTH s6 is better looking if it is spiffy clean and shined up assuming it has no dings or tiny dents that are visible. The smooth s6 is better looking than the s5 assuming this. The s5 with the hump tends to camouflage those dings/tiny dents/scars better , such that on wheels with scars etc, the s5 looks better with scars than the s6 with scars. They are both very good wheels but the SMOOTH S6 with perfect scar free/ding free chrome shining like a mirror just cannot be beaten from a 'Looks' perspective. This is just Arnold's opinion. Your opinion is the only one that counts when you decide!

Back