When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

White Corvette with Rust Spots and Spray Paint

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

partsguy

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Hey guys, I’m progressing slowly on my ‘59 white Corvette. The frame has several rusty spots, flaking areas, and spray paint that I previously did not see before dismantling it. I’m hoping I can resurrect this one but I need a LOT of help and direction before attempting. If I can’t bring back any of the paint on this frame, in any presentable condition, there’s no point in doing the rest of the bike.

Here are a couple of areas I buffed by hand. The potential is there, maybe?

0A102EBB-8A46-4A2A-8699-A1B215EF02D0.jpeg

E7B91C2D-B656-4251-BCA7-F03BC83F7DDC.jpeg

This is what I have to contend with. This is easily the most delicate, and most damaged, paint I have ever worked with.

2F00B630-071A-47B8-BF22-78A94C8FD3E1.jpeg

6919A59C-ADA9-49D9-8290-E909D90FC584.jpeg

C42335CB-A8AA-4B03-ABD1-E1D93A93945D.jpeg

EED82549-7721-40CE-AF97-B06466E50257.jpeg

AF9AC7A6-5EB8-47B6-8CF1-BD12C8474246.jpeg

Flaking paint:

88451604-E919-45AC-B584-60DBF98AADDF.jpeg

655FE99D-C1BD-418F-89B3-C92C83AF4684.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m hoping my CABE family has any suggestions. I’m hoping to get this bike cleaned up, presentable, rideable, and showing it’s age gracefully as I have done for my other bikes.

That's a tough one, for some reason Schwinn's summer cloud white was am exceptionally weak paint! I think your best bet would be the mr. clean magic erasers and water, maybe a little mild soap. May the odds be ever in your favor!

That's a tough one, for some reason Schwinn's summer cloud white was am exceptionally weak paint! I think your best bet would be the mr. clean magic erasers and water, maybe a little mild soap. May the odds be ever in your favor!

I was just using a Magic Eraser to restore a toy my brother and I had to pass down to my daughter. It didn’t work, but it might work on this.

I have another question, what about the decals? Is the magic eraser ok for the decals? Or are those just screwed? I know Schwinn decals have a reputation for being delicate, like the Huffy seat tube decals are.

I see a hundred man hours cleaning up that frame. It's a shame the paint is so beat up and the decals are still in good condition. Me, myself and I would do a partial paint-patina restoration that will blend in, but that takes lots of patience, time and experience. Someone with TRM's experience could probably do that in his sleep.

I see a hundred man hours cleaning up that frame. It's a shame the paint is so beat up and the decals are still in good condition. Me, myself and I would do a partial paint-patina restoration that will blend in, but that takes lots of patience, time and experience. Someone with TRM's experience could probably do that in his sleep.

I have never done a partial paint restoration and blended it in. I could practice on other bikes first. How is that done?

Chrome polish with a rag or paper towel around the head tube where it just looks dirty . Use an old toothbrush in hard to reach areas..Stay clear of the decals and pin stripes.. use blue painters tape and tape them off if you need to get close.. If you need to remove paint from pin stripes tape one edge and remove paint right up to it with goof off.. Once one side is done tape the other side and remove the over spray.. then lightly clean the paint off the pin strip until they start to fade away.. Otherwise Maybe just some wd40 on a rag or paper towel on those... On the bottom where it is really bad try wd40 and 0000 steel wool or brass wool .. .. once cleaned use McGuire’s ultimate polish to get it to really shine..

Back