When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

White grips and bleach

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

the tinker

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Just found out why the several pairs of white Schwinn grips I soaked [a real long time] in bleach didn't clean up hardly at all. I have always heard how they really whiten up when soaked in bleach a few days.
The reason is it did not work good was it has to be fresh bleach, under 1 year old. Bleach is light sensitive and has a shelf life of one year.
The older it is it becomes less potent. The bleach I used was purchased 1998-99. Makes sense to me.....

I've tried the bleach (new bleach) on white grips and came to the conclusion it's a myth. If they are dirty that's one thing, but if they are UV damaged that's another. Wiping a Comet or Ajax paste on them and scrubbing with a stiff brush will clean them about as good as they will ever get. SOS pads also do a decent job, but if they are really yellowed/browned from the UV rays they are toast.
By the way, laundry bleach is manufactured in a stronger mix during the Summer months. If you want to try the full blown mix, buy some liquid pool chlorine and forget that lilac scented Clorox.

This is my opinion based on my examples and I approved this post. :p

I've tried the bleach (new bleach) on white grips and came to the conclusion it's a myth. If they are dirty that's one thing, but if they are UV damaged that's another. Wiping a Comet or Ajax paste on them and scrubbing with a stiff brush will clean them about as good as they will ever get. SOS pads also do a decent job, but if they are really yellowed/browned from the UV rays they are toast.

+1 I've had good results using Comet with Bleach powder on a toothbrush, rinsing often. It cleaned up some 50s grips like new.

Just found out why the several pairs of white Schwinn grips I soaked [a real long time] in bleach didn't clean up hardly at all. I have always heard how they really whiten up when soaked in bleach a few days.
The reason is it did not work good was it has to be fresh bleach, under 1 year old. Bleach is light sensitive and has a shelf life of one year.
The older it is it becomes less potent. The bleach I used was purchased 1998-99. Makes sense to me.....
I have had good success with the bleach.I heard you always sniff it and take a mouthful to see if it is still potent.I see what it did to Dave so I didnt try it.I would not recommend this method.

I have had good success with the bleach.I heard you always sniff it and take a mouthful to see if it is still potent.I see what it did to Dave so I didnt try it.I would not recommend this method.
1gs3gw.jpg

I've been able to get mine pretty white using bleach and cleanser but it doesnt last long if you actually use them.

I've been able to get mine pretty white using bleach and cleanser but it doesnt last long if you actually use them.
To get them clean, I let them soak in simple green, then attack them with a brillo pad, rinse, and air dry. I'm always cleaning white grips after a ride, even with clean hands.

the vynil spray will seal the surface so the oil from your hands wont penetrate the grips anymore,if your grips see alot of sun top coat the white vynil dye/paint with vynil clear,clear has sunscreen in it so the sun wont hurt the color,all good auto paint has uv prortectant in it wich reflect the sun rays back out,there a simple and short explanation

Back