When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

White sidewalls or black walls?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
If there's anything I've observed over the years...when people buy a bike, they instantly feel the need to do something to "make it their own." Tires, tubes, grips, seats, pedals...the wear items...that's what seems to get swapped first, whether you tell people the correct date code tires were hard to find, the tubes are NOS Goodyear, whatever...they get swapped, that's their preference. The main time tire types become a problem are when the bikes change hands. Deluxe bikes are expected to have fenders and whitewalls....Stingrays for example take a big hit on price if their chainguard is screened Deluxe and they don't have those. Ride what you want on Your bike! Just know that if you're going to sell a bike, and you claim it's "all original" and put a big price tag on it, the tires better match what's expected for that price tag.
I also don't like to have to baby expensive brittle whitewalls, so you won't see many originals on my bikes.

Its also an age and cultural demographic. White walls were a big fashion statement in the late forties through the early 60's on cars. I remember my Father with a GALLON bucket of white paste-like stuff and a toothbrush on the weekends spiffing up his 4" wide Royals.
Myself, I consider them a Balloon tire thing. But Im not of that era.
If the fenders visually touch the white wall it messes up the look to me. I tried a set on my continental and they look good w/o fenders but blah with them. Not a good bike comparison I know, but same affect.

Yes the WW can really mess with the look if the reveal is off. But when everything lines up it adds another nice detail to the bike.
From the view point of someone that doesn't fully appreciate them, I've put quite a few on this past year. I found on chrome fenders they washed out the look on a yellow bike but were pretty nice w/o fenders.
Its funny, Im of the 60's era and I like a tire with a red stripe... :)
I put a pair of red stripe tires on a green frame Schwinn Cantilever w/o fenders and I thought it was the best look ever.
As far as looks go, I guess it just depends.
Originality is different though. I'm glad I haven't caught the original tire bug....

I’m for the sidewalls matching front and rear, (even if the treads might not be the same); but it is one’s preference and may depend on the bike.
Sometimes tho brown-wall tires might be darker or lighter, not a perfect match.

Modern color-wall tires can add color to a plainer looking or black bike; but might not look too good if clashing with the (same color or close-to-same color) rims.

I too like the newer stripes, perhaps even more so if they did not cost extra.

Last edited:
... Another rule of thumb is use blackwalls if your bike has white painted rims ... as coasterbrakejunkie stated ...

Last edited:
Back