When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

White sidewalls or black walls?

-
Comes down to personal taste. The girls bike with the yellow sign was at Memory Lane for sale. I didn’t buy it but it tempted me and the wife said she doesn’t want any more bikes. I bought the Hollywood for my daughter for Christmas a couple years ago and IMO it looks better with whites on it.

View attachment 1759571

View attachment 1759572

View attachment 1759573

View attachment 1759574
I've always been drawn to white walls with the chrome wheels versus black walls on chromes... I also like the red treads or the blue diamonds look pretty COOOLon some bikes.

I love 'em both! But I agree with @TieDye, black on painted, white on chrome.

I've been threatening to swap out the whitewalls for black on my '46 DX for months now, and I finally did this morning while home 'teleworking'. SO glad I did, what a difference! Swapping out that stupid fat modern seat for a more age appropriate Persons I had laying around helped, too.

thumbnail_IMG_7152.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_7154.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_7175.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_7173.jpg

Last edited:
From the view point of someone that doesn't fully appreciate them, I've put quite a few on this past year. I found on chrome fenders they washed out the look on a yellow bike but were pretty nice w/o fenders.
Its funny, Im of the 60's era and I like a tire with a red stripe... :)
I put a pair of red stripe tires on a green frame Schwinn Cantilever w/o fenders and I thought it was the best look ever.
As far as looks go, I guess it just depends.
Originality is different though. I'm glad I haven't caught the original tire bug....
I know it is an old thread, but where did you find red stripe 26 x 13/4 tires? It would be great for my yellow Typhoon

I bought these Schwinn Superior skinny whitewalls recently because I love that mid-sixties vibe they give off. Wasn’t planning on mounting them on this ‘63 Mainliner, but I love how they look, they line up with the fenders like they were made for them.

4DED81C6-1F32-4C81-B34C-29667208D26E.jpeg

9AB06242-5E27-4B1D-A268-42BE1AEF1E93.jpeg

Back