When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who do you think made this 1880's Hi wheel, Ordinary, Penny Farthing, Maybe Gormully & Jeffery G&J ? Model, Year ??

-

TrustRust

Finally riding a big boys bike
Soooooo after who knows how long maybe we should try to identify this one...
50" wheel and yes I know it's missing brake lever, spoon stuff and who knows if it ever had a dust shield..
Nicely crazed maroon, red paint from baking high up in the barn ....

I was thinking maybe a G&J made in Chicago ?? Yup I know it looks different than their more popular models..
But I remember reading somewhere they made a lower priced "American Ideal" model that came in red....
Anyone have a photo of that Ideal model ??

Maybe I am way off and maybe y'all know exactly what it is and even have shots from brochures, ads etc..

I THANK you in advance for any help..

IMG_8339.jpg

IMG_8340.jpg

IMG_8335.jpg

IMG_8337.jpg

IMG_8336.jpg

IMG_0736.jpg

IMG_0738.JPG

IMG_0742.jpg

Nice highwheeler. Have you found out yet who made it? Looks to me like someone repainted it a few years back.

That's real pretty! I think it looks great just as it is, or equally good restored. Does she still ride? I would also agree that this was repainted, probably at least 70, maybe even 90 or more years ago, but she very well might have been red to begin with when new, and this was to refresh its appearance a bit back in the day. Looks really nice though as it is! I tell you, it is on my bucket list to get a hold of a real old high wheeler some day, and have it in perfect working condition!

Yes the red High Wheel Ordinary has been identified as a 1880 1881 Pope Columbia Special model...
The open head Standard model of that era is well documented and one can find lots of shots both new and old and ID info etc on them..

BUT I have not found ANY photos old or new of another closed head "Special Model" like this one yet...
I am hoping someone has shots from a original brochure, catalog or any photo of one....

I found two screw holes on the left side of backbone that must be for the Pope Columbia ID plate they used circa 1880 1881...
Sooooo if anyone has a original one bouncing around they are not using I'd sure like to get one !!!
Here is a shot of the oval ID plate I'm talking about... It's not a head badge so to speak as it goes on the backbone of the Hi Wheel..

THANKS.....

IMG_0781.jpg

There should also be two holes in the backbone about a foot or so back from the steering head. These two holes held a bracket that the also missing flat seat spring slid in. This flat seat spring was cross bolted at the front in the hole in the backbone head plate that the incorrect seat mount is mounted into.
I don not have a badge like you are looking for but this would be the correct badge for your Columbia.
I will be making the correct pressed metal seat pans for this bicycle made from dies using an original seat pan as the model in the near future.
Contact me if interested.
Mike Cates
(760) 473-6201 Voice Calls Only and I Do Not Text
[email protected]

I forgot to mention that the rear wheel looks wrong. Meaning hub, spokes, rim and diameter looking just a bit small for fitting the rear forks crown correctly.
Seat and cantilevered seat support look wrong as well. The rear wheel should mimic the front wheel with radial spokes and adjusting nuts.
Inspect closely with a magnifying glass the outer pedal plates and look for the COLUMBIA script and PATENT DATES stamped into them.
I like the stepped steering head that the Special Columbia has.
Mike Cates, CA.

I forgot to mention that the rear wheel looks wrong. Meaning hub, spokes, rim and diameter looking just a bit small for fitting the rear forks crown correctly.
Seat and cantilevered seat support look wrong as well. The rear wheel should mimic the front wheel with radial spokes and adjusting nuts.
Inspect closely with a magnifying glass the outer pedal plates and look for the COLUMBIA script and PATENT DATES stamped into them.
I like the stepped steering head that the Special Columbia has.
Mike Cates, CA.
Thanks for the added information Mike..
I was fortunate and a kind person sent me the little oval ID plate for it..
Other than that it will probably remain as is and simply on display. I got it from a very old friend who had it for decades . He got it from one of the founders of the antique motorcycle club way back who was friends with George Hendee …
So I like its history and that it is a odd model that is seldom seen with few known survivors..
Thanks 👍🏻

Back