When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who does which, and why?

-

When I was a kid I tried lacing a wheel. I got it done, but it was all cocked and crooked. A neighbor kid laughed at me, saying, "Only a bike shop can do that, not you." I recall he was laughing when he got on his bike, shaking his head as he left, like I was some kind of an idiot. Many years later, it gave me great pleasure when I mastered lacing a wheel. I like doing things myself. I enjoy riding them, but I like working on them more since I retired. During this covid thing, the bikes have been a lifesaver. Messing around with them gives me something I can do at home. One other note, now that I think about it. That kid had an older brother that rode a red Monark Super Deluxe, with the twin springs. One day I see it's setting on the curb for trash pickup. It was minus it's wheels. I went to get it and he says his brother said no one gets it, it goes in the garbage truck. He wouldn't let me take it. The trash truck got it. Didn't you hate kids like that?

Back