When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who Has Old Issues of "American Bicyclist"? (Monark Rocket)

-

Avanti

Look Ma, No Hands!
Looking for 1956/57 issues of American Bicyclist (or any material) that contains information on Monark's new 24" line of Rocket bicycles (see clipping below). Thanks!

Very interesting, as the company was purchased by Huffy in late 1957. I've read a couple articles from that era which said Huffy were going to produce Monarks for west coast sales. I wonder what became of that 'new plant'? Surviving bikes suggest they used up existing Monark parts, substituting Huffy parts as they ran out, until they were only Monark in name. I have several issues of AB and Bicycle journal, but none that mention this edition of the Rocket. I do have a couple from 1955 that introduce the new middleweight line, which were badged Silver King.

These "Rockets" were produced just prior to the Huffy buy-out and it does not appear that Huffy continued production of this particular model. Although for a limited time in '56, they were available through Sears (re-badged as J.C. Higgins). The ad below incorrectly identifies the bike as a 20-inch.1195426

Unfortunately, not the same bike. The 24" Rocket introduced in '56 (and discontinued when Huffy took over on January 1st, 1958), had a straight down tube, straight intermediate tube, eight hole chainring and middleweight size rims. Because they were manufactured exclusively at the Azusa plant, these bikes were only available through dealers in the Western States including Hawaii.

Back