When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who has the last Prewar Schwinn ?

-
Had & have a few "I #'s" but nothing that high of #, as for the war time production think there was a time companies were able to use up stock on hand to fill orders, perfect example my 42 Western Flyer ( CWC used the "A" serial # all of 42 ), CWC used a frame designed exclusively for Montgomery Wards by Walter Teague only used for 40-1 Hawathorne All American but ended up on a bare bones 42 WF, don't know if there was a overlap with these spare-parts bikes and war time production. Guess there could be the same thread for CWC's my number is A17xxxView attachment 1362649
You're right, sorting out the differences between pre-war and early war-time production could be a real headache. Maybe it would be easier to see who's got the latest 1942 balloon Schwinn. And I don't get tired of looking at your 1942, it's a perfect witness to a particular time and place, long gone by.

Reactions: mrg
Not sure where in the year my '41 G serial falls...

IMG_1545.jpg

IMG_1550.jpg

You're right, sorting out the differences between pre-war and early war-time production could be a real headache. Maybe it would be easier to see who's got the latest 1942 balloon Schwinn. And I don't get tired of looking at your 1942, it's a perfect witness to a particular time and place, long gone by.
That is kind of what I had in mind. These bikes are way fun to ride, The prewar DX has a high bottom bracket and longer cranks,

Those are part numbers. Looks like 9020 A and I've seen the number 9620-A.

Since the balloon tire models used the same serial numbering sequence that the New World lightweight models used, the chart that Miq has created over in the Schwinn Lightweight forum, is the most comprehensive serial number timeline done to date.
It doesn’t cover any Schwinn numbers prior to 1939, but it has a really good tracking of the models made during the war years.
But, I still think the stamped number just tells you when the bottom bracket shell was stamped.
Not necessarily when the bike was built.
The war time rations featured on the bike will be a better indicator as to when the bike was assembled.
An H prefix suggests 1941, but the painted trim pieces would indicate a 1942 build.
An I prefix suggests a 1942 build for sure.
After that, I would assume, that a J prefix, would have only been used on the New World Victory model, or on the Cycle Truck.
Has anybody ever come across a wartime J stamped balloon tire model?

Back