When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who has the last Prewar Schwinn ?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Roadstermike

Look Ma, No Hands!
I have a 1942 Schwinn DX with serial number I 25938. I would think this is close to end of production for the war years. This has been my beach cruiser for about 30 years. I know that when I got it it was spray painted red. Who's got a Prewar Schwinn with a higher serial number?
Just wondering,
Mike

P1060074.JPG

P1060080.JPG

Pearl Harbor wasn't attacked until Dec of '41.

In December 1941, the Office of Production Management and leading manufacturers developed specifications for a simplified bicycle dubbed the "Victory bicycle" by government and media. OPM reviewed several prototypes submitted for examination. Regulations finalized in March 1942 specified that bicycles would be lightweight - not more than 31 pounds, about two-thirds the weight of prewar bicycles - and they would be made of steel only, with no copper or nickel parts. Chrome plating was limited to a few small pieces of hardware. Handlebars and wheel rims would be painted instead of chrome plated, and most accessories (chain guard, basket, luggage rack, bell, whitewall tires) were eliminated. Tire size was limited to a width of 1.375 inches, narrower than balloon tires on prewar children's bikes. Production was set at 750,000 Victory bicycles per year by twelve manufacturers, approximately 40 percent of total prewar production but a significant increase in annual production of adult bicycles. The manufacture of all other types of civilian bicycles was halted.

I'm betting that you'll find some year wars lightweight Schwinns out there. Gas and tires were rationed, civilians rode bicycles to work. There had to be some made to fill this quota.

1942-1945

In 1942 the Schwinn catalog saw most of it's bikes discontinued and the "Defense models" introduced.

army-navy-e-award.jpg

These models were Schwinn bicycles stripped of their fancy (and metal) accessories. The company received the Army and Navy "E" Award for the excellence of it's performance in the production of war materials. Commander Singer of the Navy said of the Schwinn company (at the presentation of the "E" award)...

"Not only have you consistently met or anticipated your delivery schedules, but you have kept a high standard of quality that resulted in a need for rejection less than 1% of your production. That makes you practically perfect."

I'm betting that you'll find some year wars lightweight Schwinns out there. Gas and tires were rationed, civilians rode bicycles to work. There had to be some made to fill this quota.

I would consider prewar anything built prior to March of 42 when the building of commercial bikes was brought to a halt. From March 1942 forward until sometime in 45 when tooling for the war industry changed back to the public interest, the few bikes built would be neither pre-war nor post-war. Automobile production resumed in October of 1945 with the 1946 models. I would imagine the same would be true for most bicycles.

Back