When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who has the last Prewar Schwinn ?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I bought this one a couple of years ago and haven't done anything with it. I can't make out if there's a letter before the numbers, though...

IMG_5186.jpg

IMG_5198.jpg

IMG_5259.jpg

This one has an H prefix, but I’ve always considered it a 42 model, since it has all of the defense era trim.
I don’t think the serial number has as much to do with the build date, as the way it was trimmed out.
H would indicate Prewar for sure, but painted rims, trussrods and fender braces, would indicate defense era cutbacks.
No rack, or tank either.
I put the U bar on this bike, because in the description of the defense models, it states that the Torrington SB bars would be used until supplies ran out, at which time a Torrington U bar would substitute.
So, a 1942 defense model, was the only time/year, that a Torrington U bar was ever used on a Schwinn built bicycle.
Kind of cool!

My Guess would be that your bike would be a 41 and the first letter might be a H

I remember posting the bike when I first got it, and I was told it was 1941, and a one-year-only frame, tank and chain guard. Just had no idea as to where it falls into early or late 1941.

Had & have a few "I #'s" but nothing that high of #, as for the war time production think there was a time companies were able to use up stock on hand to fill orders, perfect example my 42 Western Flyer ( CWC used the "A" serial # all of 42 ), CWC used a frame designed exclusively for Montgomery Wards by Walter Teague only used for 40-1 Hawathorne All American but ended up on a bare bones 42 WF, don't know if there was a overlap with these spare-parts bikes and war time production. Guess there could be the same thread for CWC's my number is A17xxx

Last edited:
Back