When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who likes a Two Speed?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Schwinny

I live for the CABE
The last bike I brought back to life started out a ten speed, but I dont like ten speeds so much, I mean, they're ok, but I cant ride one comfortably anymore. I set about getting rid of all the speeds and started to put an internal hub 3 or 5 speed but then tripped on some Bendix 2spd chatter and started to think about that.
Looking at the Bendix 2 speeds, I guess people are proud of them. I remember when I was a kid in the 60's and 70's, we all wanted a 2 speed Stingray or an Orange Krate. I didn't know much about the two speed deal, but I sure admired the neighbor boy down the street with his Orange Krate. My single speed, late 50's Speedster was what I had till the late 70's
Anyway....
Im not so hot on spending fairly large money on a "rebuilt" or "like new" or "known good" 50-60 year old hub with very little serviceability in 2021. They seemed like good idea for a city bike but the Bendix route didn't look that good to me. I ride the hell out of my bikes, several miles a day sometimes, and I dont need any spendy issues.
But while I was reading up on them Someone mentioned the S2 Sturmey Archer and I looked at that. They had a lot of bad press when it was re introduced in 2010-2011 due to internal issues of some type, but all the reviews after 2014 seem to show that the kinks have been worked out.

So I bought one and put it on the road bike frame.
It was brand new. A coaster brake model (S2C) and was less than $95 delivered.

It takes a few days to get used to how it works (same as the Bendix) and then it works smoother after few weeks.
Now, I find myself really liking it. I may get an old clunker heavy/middle weight and do it again.
Anybody else?
Yeah or nay on the Bendix or the SRAM or the SA... others?

Never been a fan of the kickback 2 speeds, however, the Bendix Aviation 2 speed manual hub is my favorite hub.
Interesting.... I had forgotten about them. I wish I had other two speeds to compare with. Do you know what the gear spread is on the Aviation?

Sturmey Archer AW and S5s are the way to go. I sent my Bendix 2 speeds and the tools to work on them down the road, a long time ago. Heavy, noisy in low gear, seemed like too low in low gear, and too high in high gear.
No Thanks.
Ted

Just saw another thread on a company in India re-making the old Bendix 2spd, parts and all.
Hmmm.
Looking up the ratios, they are a bit different than the Sturmey. Red band and blue band have different ratios and each work opposite of the other. One uses 1st as 1:1 with 2nd an overdrive of 50%! Ugh no way. And the other uses 2nd as its 1:1 gear stepping down 30% for 1st, Roughly the same as the SA/S2 spread but opposite again.
The SA/S2 is an overdrive hub using 1st as 1:1 and second is a 30% overdrive.
I wonder how much the Bendix hubs Weigh? The SA/S2C I have was roughly 5lbs. Quite a chunk for todays "lighter" bikes.

Whats this ND 2 speed Freqman1 mentions?
And check out this blast from the past, I'd like to hear from someone that has or has ridden one of these...

Have and have had a few Sachs Torpedo hubs and they are great .
Also have a Sturmey Archer on my path racer also good but Sachs I find is a little bit smoother shifting .
All mine are kickback and overdrive .

The new Eagle 2sp hubs (Bendix yellow/blue band copies) are indeed out:

I'm looking for a 2sp kickback hub with a granny gear (like the yellow band) that uses the 3 spline arrangement so I can use an ichibike sprocket on it.

The new Eagle 2sp hubs (Bendix yellow/blue band copies) are indeed out:

I'm looking for a 2sp kickback hub with a granny gear (like the yellow band) that uses the 3 spline arrangement so I can use an ichibike sprocket on it.
Yeah... Read about this. Being made in India.
I wonder if more of the original Bendix models will surface now that there will be readily available repair parts cheap. I hear original NOS index springs bring a premium.

Back