When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who likes a Two Speed?

-
The only problem i have with the bendix two speeds is that they dont take the stamdard 3 tab sprockets.i like the sachs.the ability to re gear makes it easy to gear to your liking without changing the front sprocket.

The only problem i have with the bendix two speeds is that they dont take the stamdard 3 tab sprockets.i like the sachs.the ability to re gear makes it easy to gear to your liking without changing the front sprocket.

I like them both, but Sachs has a similar problem for a different reason. Being an overdrive you can't get a rear sprocket big enough to compensate for the overdrive. I managed to get a 24 tooth 3 tabbed cog (sturmey archer) for a 48 tooth front that I am using on one of my bikes, but if I wanted a 52 tooth on the front it would be geared way too high.

This is only a problem on the 26 inch versions though. If you have a 20 or 24 inch wheel you're correct, the sky is limit on your options :).

My recent experience with the Sachs Duomatic, is that it’s a very high quality hub that works really well.
But, I find myself wishing that it had that third gear ratio in between the high and the low.
The low gear is slightly too low, and the high gear is slightly too high, so something in between would balance the spread, and keep you from reaching for that sweet spot that just isn’t there.
Changing the cog/sprockets isn’t really much of an option, because your still adversely affecting one side or the other to get that one gear that is more to your liking.
The New Departure two speed is a good set up, that works with a normal single speed type ratio, but gives you that low granny gear for climbing hills, or pedaling into the wind.
It’s a good time tested system that works surprisingly well.
I used to have a Shelby with the New Departure Triplspeed, and I’ve got to say, that I liked it the best.
I’ve always wanted to build up another bike with one of those.
They weren’t introduced until 1950, so they are a little late for the type of bikes I collect, but the function was the best of all the classic era multi geared set ups that I have tried.

I have ND 2 speeds on my 1950's ( a red and a green) Schwinn Panthers, and a ND 3 speed on my Schwinn Red Phantom. I like all of the set ups ( the 3 speed is a bit finicky hitting the gear right on) but a non vintage set up to consider is the Shimano 3 speed coaster brake option that is REALLY SWEET. It shifts like butter smooth and the gears are well proportioned for most riding conditions. I have bought several over the years on built wheels for Cruisers or Custom ballooners off Ebay. ( an example of what's on Ebay.)
Shimano Nexus 3 Speed Coaster Brake 36h HUB SHIFTER Vintage Bike Cruiser Bicycle
eBay item number:

It's a twist grip with cables. I also have some CCM's from the late 1960's with the German 2 speed kickbacks that I also like. Good luck.

duo 3.JPG

IMG_1610.JPG

Spring sprung 1.JPG

twin Delta's.JPG

If anyone wishes, I would be more than happy to take your Sachs Duomatic kickback hubs off your hands if they do not suit your needs to a tee.;) If two gears are good might three give you the range the two speeds do not seem to have?

So it sounds like if you want a 2sp with granny gear/1:1 and skiptooth cog, your only option is a ND 2sp.

I may try an SA kickback 2sp with an ichibike 11T cog. That will give me a bit of a granny gear of 2.36 compared to 2.60 with the standard 10:26 prewar setup.

Anyone know of larger skiptooth cogs than the 11T from ichibike (but with the same 3spline format)?

Last edited:
Great info all around !!
Just makes me want to start making two speed bikes with a variety of hubs tho.... dangerous.

The two Speed I just put on one of mine has changed the way I think of City bikes. Its geared at 60 inch feet in first and 80 inch feet in second. After extensive, laborious and tedious testing (Many sprocket & gear swaps) I found that I like 60if for first gear here in Tucson. That applies to all bikes I have, but its much harder to do on anything but an overdrive hub (1st gear being 1:1)
I made a table of all the gear combinations in relation to the 30% overdrive of the SA/S2 hub and net tire height.

I read about this on Sheldon Brown Several years ago...

Front Sprocket teeth, divided by rear gear teeth, Times net Tire height (Actual height minus 1/4" for deflection)
On my bike it is:
48 divided by 22 = 2.18 Times 27.5 = 60 + 30% for 2nd gear is 80.
60if is still a bit of a granny gear but you can cruise around at 10-12mph easily. The top of second has me doing about 20mph which is pretty quick for me considering the bad roads and blind cell phone drivers in town. Factor in Ive got only one good arm and Im nearly a danger out there.

Consider that on a Stock Schwinn 26" tire bike using a SA/3spd, The numbers come out to 1-2-3 = 44.22/66.4/88.6
It makes sense to me considering that on a Stock Schwinn 3spd I always feel that the gearing sweet spot is at the top of 1st / bottom of 2nd gear. A hard place to keep it while riding around for me. I like a little bit faster than a meander in first

I think anything more than a 30% spread between the gears is too much for me. I saw that the Spread on the Bendix wide band is 50%....

Back