When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who made a high-quality front derailleur to fit a 1" seat tube?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

bloo

I live for the CABE
The title sums it up. What front Derailleur options exist for a 25.4mm/1" seat tube? I am not having a lot of luck on Ebay.

I am putting together a duplicate of a bike I had in the 80s (I'll post a thread about it when I get around to taking a picture of the pile of parts). I used a Huret back then to replace the lousy original, though I don't remember what model that Huret was, and I suspect most of them are for a French seat tube or larger. Ebay sellers don't usually include the tube size.

A Suntour Cyclone II with the endless clamp looks sort of promising, but as near as I can tell those have no housing stop, and I would really prefer a housing stop because I don't want to run the cable under the bottom bracket.

Chainwheels will be 40/34. What are my options? Also, is there anything modern?

Decent quality but so-so cachet, probably outside your parameters but - Suntour Spirt FD's came in 28.6 and 25.4 That's the only one that comes to mind off the bat. Seems to be no shortage of those on the 'bay.

-----

One thing to be aware of with the Suntour Spirt/Compe-V/SL family of front mechs is that they operate "backwards" from all others. They are referred to in the trade as being "top normal." This may take a bit of getting familiar with. The design definitely has numerous adherents. No wish to denigrate it.

---

Huret produced quite a number of models for 25.4mm seat tube.

Here is the Club II model as shown on a manufacturer's catalogue page of 1978:

---

All of the Shimano models have seen for 25.4mm seat tube are low end ones such as the Thunderbird series.

-----

A lot of front derailleurs came in two clamp sizes and are often marked as such.---I think the average ebay seller may have no idea, so if you see one you like, you'd have to ask them to look. I might have something, I'll have to look, It would be period as I raced the things from about 78--85. What bike are you building?

Thank you for all the responses. I have learned a lot in this thread, and I suspect there is more to come. I am leaning toward the Suntour Spirt simply because it looks like it has the biggest stoutest hinge. I can live with it working backwards, although I see it clamps the cable and the housing moves the derailleur. That might get a little weird with modern stiff cable housing, but maybe it will be fine.

Hello,
Wheels manufacturing makes a shim to go from 28.6mm down to a 25.4mm (1 inch) seat tube. If you’re wanting to go more modern, find a derailleur that’s comes with shims to get you to 28.6, then use the second wheels manufacturing shim to get it down to 25.4 (1 inch). That’s what I was going to do on some project many years ago. I bought the shins and still have them. I hope that made any sense to you. Good luck. There’s probably a direct mount adapter that could be used as well. Then you’d have some modern options too.

I didn't want to use shims because I figured they would slip. Also, it seems nobody makes a direct mount adapter for 25.4. I dug deep for that but it doesn't seem to exist. I would be back to using shims.

Back