When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who made a high-quality front derailleur to fit a 1" seat tube?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Thank you for all the responses. I have learned a lot in this thread, and I suspect there is more to come. I am leaning toward the Suntour Spirt simply because it looks like it has the biggest stoutest hinge. I can live with it working backwards, although I see it clamps the cable and the housing moves the derailleur. That might get a little weird with modern stiff cable housing, but maybe it will be fine.

I may have one of these also, I will look.

I didn't want to use shims because I figured they would slip. Also, it seems nobody makes a direct mount adapter for 25.4. I dug deep for that but it doesn't seem to exist. I would be back to using shims.
Yeah I was thinking a direct mount adapter in a 28.6 might exist and then you could use the shim. Keep in mind that many if not most non-direct Mount modern derailleurs have shims that come with them from the factory. If you don’t like using shims, I totally get it. You want your bike the way you want it. I’m the same way. Good luck on your search. I’m sure you’ll figure out a great if not the best option.

Pictures of the Rainier project are over here:

Here is a Suntour Spirt. A little dirty, but no wear, I'm sure it has never been on a bike.

late to the party, but I would recommend the SunTour infinite band-clamp, which adjust to any size seat tube
This may have also been marked Spirt (when they meant Sprint)

ujm9pJI.jpg

Last edited:
Back