When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who made bicycle badges?

-

sam

I live for the CABE
Were there companies that specialized in making badges? Or were badges made by the bike factories, or both?
Did bicycle factories order badge dies from specialty makers?
I've seen badges that look very similar on different unrelated brands(not just different models).

S D Childs out of Chicago was the company behind these and who knows what others.

imageidnyp33433069061921seq210width1113-1.jpg

imageidnyp33433069061954seq227width1113-1.jpg

Last edited:
As mentioned Childs was one of the largest makers
Screen20Shot202013100820at205455920PMpng-1.jpg

But almost anyone could have their name designed and made.
e693c047123f4451a4b99611fefe33d1png-1.jpg

Screen20Shot202013102420at209310120PMpng-1.jpg

There was also a place in Mass that made them. I don't have the info on the company.

The D.L. Auld Co. of Columbus, Ohio made the cast, Davis-Dayton badge in the teen's-
era ... for the Dayton Motorcycle. Note the use of a rivet-feature to attach the ''bottle-cap'',
connecting-cone.

Same company also produced the heavy and stamped, early, Huffman-Dayton badge.

These are so-marked on back of badge. Have not seen other Davis / Huffman badges with the ''D.L. Auld Co.'' marking.

...... patric

dayton motorcycle  002.JPG

dayton motorcycle  001.JPG

dayton motorcycle  001  detail.jpg

HUFFMAN Dayton Badge OCT. 1934-mid to late 1939 COPY.jpg

=======================
=======================

Last edited:
The Davis, Sear's-Chief badge is often stamped with
the manufacturer's mark.

Have never been able to decipher the letters .........

Sorry, no example handy ... maybe you gots one ...... ?

....... p.

===================
===================

Waltham Dial Company made a lot of TOC enamel badges and inserts. I have some dies that came out of a large industrial jewelry house in Philadelphia- made a lot of badges, trophies, etc. I vaguely remember reading that the Wright Bros. badges were made by a jeweler in Dayton

There was also a place in Mass that made them. I don't have the info on the company.

All the 30's - 70's badges used by Westfield/Columbia Mfg were made by a company right in Westfield Mass named Anderson and Sons. This company was also famous for making the metal "Perpetual Calendars, The re-pop Columbia badges were made my another Westfield company "Decorated Metals", just up the road from the old Anderson and Sons. Both companies are out of business now.

All the 30's - 70's badges used by Westfield/Columbia Mfg were made by a company right in Westfield Mass named Anderson and Sons. This company was also famous for making the metal "Perpetual Calendars, The re-pop Columbia badges were made my another Westfield company "Decorated Metals", just up the road from the old Anderson and Sons. Both companies are out of business now.

Thanks for the info! Too bad both places are no closed.

Back