When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who made "Black Beauty" badged bikes??? and Mont. Wards "De Luxe"

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I stumbled across this on eBay from Montgomery Ward catalog number 88 (1918).

s-l1600 (12).jpg

Apparently Davis, before being sold in 1923, was one of a few who made Black Beauty-badged bikes for the Haverford jobbers, and possibly also the Deluxe Hawthorne and many other different badges. Davis purchased Yale and Snell (Consolodated Manufacturing) in 1916 and was making the Harley Davidson Motocykes in the late teens also. I wonder if they had a big inventory of frames.

If I may, @hoofhearted, sir Patric's comments regarding Miami's potential link to Black Beauty cycles via Haverford:
This from the Miami Flying Merkel thread. pg26.
The following is nothing more than a presentation. It remains within the hopes of this typer ...
that All Bicycle-Manufacturing Companies producing the Black-Beauty Bicycle for Haverford
Cycle Co. can come to light and be recognized for their achievements.
Have made a bunch of discoveries ........
The BB was Schwinn-Built for some Model Year(s). The Schwinn Motorbike of the mid-teens and
twenties had a 1-inch diameter top bar AND a 1-inch diameter Undertank Bar. A Double-Brace
was used to help support BOTH the front and rear fenders.
The BB was Davis-Built for some Model Year(s). The Davis Motorbike of the mid-teens thru 1922
(Davis had NO 1923 PRODUCTION of bicycles) .. to continue .. had a 1-inch diameter top bar AND
a 7/8" Undertank Bar. A single fender brace was used to help support the front fender WHILE a
double fender brace was used to support the rear fender.
The BB .. also .. was made by an Unknown Builder .. whose frame-features are remarkably similar
to those Motorbikes of the Miami-Cycle & Mfg. Co. from 1917 thru 1922 .. the final year Miami produced
bicycles. This '17 thru '22 Miami-Built Motorbike has a Drop-Top-Tube of 1-inch diameter -- as do
many motorbikes of the era AND ALSO has an Undertank Bar with an o.d. diameter of 11/16-inch ...
AND .. a double-brace was used to help support BOTH the front and rear fenders.
Generally speaking .. it may be very-difficult for anyone to find a teen's-era bicycle with less that 1-inch
main tubing.
While I, personally, believe Miami-Cycle produced the Black-Beauty Bicycle during un-disclosed model years ...
I certainly do not expect everyone and their first-grade teacher to be shouting from the tallest rooftops .. that
very chunk of my belief. To be sure ... much more research is indicated .. before a conclusion can be reached.

........ patric

Miami Cycle Mfg. Co. is mentioned with some incredulity in this thread (and perhaps another); but looking for something else, I happened upon another “cool” post from @shoe3 indicating a Haverford—Miami connection; (although another beauty).
Apologize in advance for any duplication.

Last edited:
Back