When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who made my Elgin? Murray vs Westfield identifiers

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

rustjunkie

. . . . . . .
Pre-WWII Murray-built bikes used a similar frame construction to post-WWII Schwinn. Mislabeled as "fillet brazing" the head- and other tubes were forgings and electro-welded to the main tubes. That's how they got those really nice smooth curves, w/o time consuming brazing and finish work. This is what I've observed over the years, and am not offended to learn that I'm mistaken :)
Here's some pics of Murray and Westfield key points that help me with ID's:

Murray Pre-WWII:

20141114_023JPG-1.jpg

20141114_032JPG-1.jpg

20141114_037JPG-1.jpg

20141114_038JPG-1.jpg

20141114_039JPG-1.jpg

20141114_048JPG-1.jpg

20141114_044JPG-1.jpg

20141114_046JPG-1.jpg

You can see that there are 2 types of seat post clamp areas, one that takes 2 shims, and one that doesn't.
Some bikes had the "hourglass" at seat- and chain-stay, some did not.
The fork shown is AFAIK unique to Murray.

From what I've seen most pre-WWII Murray bikes you'll find do not have rear fork ends threaded for chain adjusters, but they were made that way, usually seen on Mercury badged bikes:

1937_Mercury_03-1.jpg

Last edited:
I always noticed, to my eyes at least, with the curved seat tube versions... Murray curved seat tubes were more of a true curve from bottom to top of the tube, while Westfield curved seat tubes look straight at the bottom, then bend, and then end straight at the top.
Yes, I agree with that. They just look better to my eye.

Here in the Midwest the Murray version is harder to find. I have a Murray built curved tube,long tank Elgin...’39 I believe. Its kinda ruff but I like it. Gonna give it to a pal who’s an awesome metal man...if anyone can save it,Larry can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Westfield bikes had different frame construction and rear fork ends.

View attachment 580591

View attachment 580593

Murray and Westfield bikes were produced with both straight and curved seat tubes.
It looks like the Hiawatha I bought has the westfield "dropout" arrangement(?).
Does that make sense?
I'd not heard of Westfield until this very post so there's a new rabbit hole for me to wander.

hiawatha a.jpg

Back