When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who owns the oldest bike here?

-
No, not Italian. I think it was based somewhere in South Carolina, but it has been so long I can't remember.

There is a guy in the Wheelmen Newsletter selling wood rims, Noah Stutzman in OH I think. Not the skinny ones, they are made by the Italian Company, and as far as oldest bike goes...

Here's my oldest bike. Best guess is just about 1870. It originally had a much larger rear wheel which was replaced by a previous owner. I'm currently trying to figure out how to make it work a little bit better and looking for a blacksmith and a wheelwright.
Boneshaker.gif

Last edited:
I can get some, but the bike is in pieces right now. Are there any areas in particular you are interested in? It's blacksmith made, and is rideable-but the pedals need some work and the rear axle is an allthread kluge job.

I'd like to see all the important parts. The one picture I see makes me think reproduction but I'm not sure cause it is too far away. It has traits of those Asian repros of 30 years ago..

I hope not! It's all wrought iron and has a Wheelmen and (polishes fingernails) Sotheby's (pronounced through clenched teeth) pedigree for what that's worth. No obvious welds (except for the headset tacked in place, no rolled flat or rod stock. I did not pay a lot for it, so I can take the truth. What red flags do you see?

Here are some shots of the cranks and pedals. It's a nasty rainy day and I couldn't get to the rest... There is an obviously new nut added by the previous owner that needs to be repositioned and re-shaped to get the pedals working better, and the wear at the pedal axle needs to be fixed. Back to original would be just hammer welding more iron onto it, but some kind of bearing-ANY kind of bearing or bushing would be better. I'd really like to get a close look at a Pickering to see how their pedals were made. The pedal rods are actually pretty uneven in diameter.
IMG_18571.gif

IMG_18561.gif

IMG_18581.gif

They look old. Put up some of the frame when you can. I could be totally off here. SOme of the features remind me of the repros

Back