When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who was 1st??

-
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/the-dawn-of-motobikes-and-truss-rods.51274/

good thread on the subject.....From your list, I would say....Sear chief was 1915 and Im sure Dayton had a moto-bike in 1915. The Indian moto was 1916, and the Harley started in 1917. Daytons, chiefs, and Harley's where all made by Davis, Indian being the only only that Westfield.
1914 is the "dawn" and I think pope/westfield was one of the first. I could be wrong.....

good question...love this stuff

I'm going with Miami - this ad is from March of 1913: truss forks, double top bar, specified as a "Motor bike Model"...

merkel motor bike.jpg

The word "motorbike" is a misnomer. You need to be more specific; motorcycle, bicycle with a motor, or a bike that replicates a motorbike. George Hendee creator and the founder of the Indian launched his protoype motorbike with Hedstrom in 1902 (he wasn't the first to do this) He just promoted and bolster how great his bike was! They were in full production of manufacturing "Motobikes" by 1904. Indian also launched the Merkel Wheel that attached to any bicycle. Now, the "motorbike" bicycle frame is a different story.

Last edited:
moto bike or motorbike or mobie bike, i believe double too tube with drop frame top tube. Great Western Laporte,Inc. had real early bicycle around 1911 era. Were talking bicycles here.

https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/the-dawn-of-motobikes-and-truss-rods.51274/

good thread on the subject.....From your list, I would say....Sear chief was 1915 and Im sure Dayton had a moto-bike in 1915. The Indian moto was 1916, and the Harley started in 1917. Daytons, chiefs, and Harley's where all made by Davis, Indian being the only only that Westfield.
1914 is the "dawn" and I think pope/westfield was one of the first. I could be wrong.....

good question...love this stuff

Thanks for Your Answer!!!

Back