When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why Are Rat Traps Getting So Expensive?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

GiovanniLiCalsi

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Why Are Rat Traps Getting So Expensive?

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335809022&icep_item=331061263017

image633-1.jpg

image1592-1.jpg

image1060-1.jpg

Looks like Joe did good on those. That's every sellers dream that lists something in the auction format.
Joe's listings consist of alot of Ranger stuff, currently the Schwinn frame Ranger that is the lower grade of the "Auction of the Year" Ranger.
He also is responsible of many repop parts on eBay. Battery tube, grips and more.

I thought top dollar rat traps topped at $200ish... Dang!

Actually those pictured above are listed as "Torrington 4-Star 1935" They have a pretty good finish and the sharps are SHARP instead of ground down nubs which means they weren't used too much.

The Record pedals on the speedplay pedal museum are different.

I do believe the Torrington 4-star is the same as the earlier Torrington 1 with exception of the pedal shaft cap. I have an earlier set that have "Star" stamped in script on the pedal shaft cap. It doesn't have a hex head, but a slotted depression instead. I think the hex head is an improvement over earlier design as I find myself having to tighten one of my caps on a regular basis. Another interesting note is that the caps themselves, hold the cage on the shaft. A flat ground on the shaft to match a flatted hole in the pedal cage keep it located at the proper orientation.

I think the pedal museum is a good place to get information, but I also think they are lacking some info as well. It would be great to see a more comprehensive listing with photos, but I think for Speedplay it's more of a short history of pedal manufacturing and design than an all inclusive historic resource.

All said and done, the scarcity of rat traps are driving their cost up. Someone must have boxes and boxes of them somewhere.

I think it's becoming more clear.......find a bike that is mostly all there. While it might be harder (or is it, I found one here quite easily) putting a bike together from individual parts, can get quite pricey, depending on the bike and the year. TOC's are becoming more popular and thus the parts and age factor, are harder to find. Hell........I've been trying to secure a nice pair of grips for the 93 for a while, yet a lot of TOC's for sale have them on them, but try and find some nice original grips and you will pay big for them if and when they come up for sale. Rarity and condition......and demand........means $$$$

Last edited:
Actually those pictured above are listed as "Torrington 4-Star 1935" They have a pretty good finish and the sharps are SHARP instead of ground down nubs which means they weren't used too much.

The Record pedals on the speedplay pedal museum are different.

I do believe the Torrington 4-star is the same as the earlier Torrington 1 with exception of the pedal shaft cap. I have an earlier set that have "Star" stamped in script on the pedal shaft cap. It doesn't have a hex head, but a slotted depression instead. I think the hex head is an improvement over earlier design as I find myself having to tighten one of my caps on a regular basis. Another interesting note is that the caps themselves, hold the cage on the shaft. A flat ground on the shaft to match a flatted hole in the pedal cage keep it located at the proper orientation.

I think the pedal museum is a good place to get information, but I also think they are lacking some info as well. It would be great to see a more comprehensive listing with photos, but I think for Speedplay it's more of a short history of pedal manufacturing and design than an all inclusive historic resource.

All said and done, the scarcity of rat traps are driving their cost up. Someone must have boxes and boxes of them somewhere.

Okay, my bad - should've had my coffee first. Sorry about that.

Back