When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why different colors in rear hub stripes

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I am guessing you are speaking of the two speed Bendix hubs? The yellow was low and standard gear as was I believe the blue. The red was standard an a higher gear. The coaster brake only was red, or plain chrome grove.

I thought yellow and red both,low and standard but blue is standard and overdrive.I'm thinking maybe that yellow is drum as red is clutch style coaster brake.
GT???????????/

http://www.trfindley.com/pgbndxhbs.html

Here is a copy from the above link that I used when I overhauled a 3 Red Band hub.Got it out from the basement,
HUB HISTORY

The first hub was the 1-speed coaster brake hub, made by the Eclipse Machine Co. in Elmira, NY. The company was bought by Bendix, and the hub became the Bendix Red band Hub. It had a single red band around it. I don't know when this was made.

The 2-speed cable operated hub was made from 1952 to 1961.

The Automatic hub was made from 1960 to 1969. It was last listed in the 1970 Schwinn Catalog.

There were 3 types of Automatic Hubs, identified by band color: Red, Yellow, and Blue bands. The Red Band was made 1960-1964. The Yellow and Blue Bands were made 1965-1969.

The red and yellow band hubs have a low gear: 1 sprocket turn for .67 hub turn to go up hills easier. High gear is 1:1. The hubs would go on bikes with 26" and 24" wheels. They were also used on bikes with 20" wheels and 46-teeth sprockets. The red and yellow hubs have some different parts in them that won't interchange. Check the diagram for the different brake parts of each hub.

The blue band has 1:1 low gear, and high is overdrive: 1 sprocket turn for 1.5 hub turn. These are used on bikes with 20" wheels and 36-teeth sprockets to go further on flat roads.

http://www.trfindley.com/pgbndxhbs.html
GT

Last edited:
2-speeds

As noted on the diagrams/pictures in the above link, all 2-speeds hubs were available in both 24h and 36h. Blue-band overdrive in 36h laced into 26" wheels is a great combo for going fast.

Word to wise; Since the Yellow and Blue have interchangeable parts, yellow band hubs can easily be passed off as blue band with a little touch up paint of the right color and an "Overdrive" scripted brake arm. One thing to note in order to authenticate a true blue band Overdrive hub, is that the Overdrive hubs (blue bands) have 20t sprockets, and yellow bands have 18t sprockets.

Hubs.jpg

Back