When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why does Black Phantom decal do this?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

crazyhawk

Riding an Americolor Shelby
I just got this 1953 Schwinn Black Phantom at the Memory Lane swap. The paint is original on the frame and, I think, on the tank as well. I can't figure out how the tank decal seems to remain when the paint around it disappears. It looks like the original decal, not a reproduction. Does the clear part of the decal disintegrate and take the paint with it leaving just the lettering? It seems as if the black paint is still under the Schwinn lettering. And the white pinstripe looks original. Or is something else going on? I've seen this before on Phantoms. Maybe it's a dumb question, but I can't quite get a handle on it. Anyone care to chime in?

IMG_20181028_155852 (1).jpg

IMG_20181101_063830 (1).jpg

IMG_20181028_160134 (1).jpg

That is weird, don't remember ever seeing anything like this. No black paint under the clear showing the outline of were the clear decal base was or is. Crazy, and I can't explain it.

By the way, your Phantom is probably a 57 model wearing a three year 52-53-57 serial number. Springer is 1955 or later.

No explanation here. I have seem many Black Phantoms like many of us have and never seen that before. Huh

That is weird, don't remember ever seeing anything like this. No black paint under the clear showing the outline of were the clear decal base was or is. Crazy, and I can't explain it.

By the way, your Phantom is probably a 57 model wearing a three year 52-53-57 serial number. Springer is 1955 or later.
I bet you're right. I need to spend more time learning how to read serial numbers better.

Simple explanation,
wrong decals for phantom , phantom tank decals don't have the speed lines or an 'S' with a loop at the top that your tank has , also the black speed lines wouldn't show up on the black paint backround. Those decals are later from 57, 58 , 59 Tornado

Last edited:

Also wearing 58-59 Tornado decals on that tank

The decals might have been replaced at some point. I thought it was odd that the right side decal has the S way down over the white pin but the left does not but it is placed low at the tail end of Schwinn. I think some kid redid those decals, and I approve my thinking. (lmao)

Here's an original and the S is not over the white pin.

1541475247550.png

Back