Why does SPITFIRE models have bolt on kickstands ??????

• Regarding bumping ads in the classifed forums, we've just installed a new (customized) add-on that will change the way ads are bumped to the top. Please refer to the post "Bumping Classifed Ads" for details.
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
These ads go away when you register for an account!

OZ1972

Finally riding a big boys bike
May 2, 2010
If anyone has information on the spitfire models please let me know , i have noticed that they all usually have bolt on kickstands , thanks !!!

Rivnut

I live for the CABE
Nov 24, 2012
Shawnee, United States
My 55 Hornet D65 has what Schwinn then called, a "detachable kickstand" and "enameled S2 tubular rims."

Reactions: OZ1972

OZ1972

Finally riding a big boys bike
May 2, 2010
Thanks for the help , it may have been cheaper to have the bolt on stand , i appreciate your fellows input !

Jeff54

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Sep 11, 2013
Ft Myers, Florida
It's not exactly basic or cheap route. 55-57 Deluxe Hornet got springer, chrome S2's, tank, Rocket Ray, Rack Optional 52 tooth sprocket and detachable kickstand and I think it kept that kick stand, on all Hornets until 1958.. Also, 55-57 seems to have been a unique frame and fenders as, it's like a heavy weight cross with middle weight B/C, fenders are not 3" balloon wide and not as narrow as middle weight. Which means, the rear fender bridge/bracket is a unique size. So, yeah price point must have had a thing to do with it but, something else was going on too. Maybe Wald or whoever they out sourced them from, snookered em on huge lot in 54 and so, Schwinn got stuck until could off load em all. B/C otherwise, it seems to me, U got more parts/materials and labor than welded standard does/did. I mean, B/C it started in 1955 or, moreover, pre-production planning, 1954, then; WTF was Schwinn thinking? o_O

Last edited:

Rivnut

I live for the CABE
Nov 24, 2012
Shawnee, United States
Don't know WTF they may have been thinking but they carried the detachable kickstand on the Hornets from the balloon model Hornet to the middleweight Hornet.

Jeff54

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Sep 11, 2013
Ft Myers, Florida
Don't know WTF they may have been thinking but they carried the detachable kickstand on the Hornets from the balloon model Hornet to the middleweight Hornet.
Yeah, I've seen em but wasn't paying attention. I'd thought you'd meant the heavyweight. Yet here they are. Plus, other than, chain guard and sprocket, they're the same as the Spitfire. And! and, frame and fenders for S2 Balloons are the same as the 55 Deluxe Hornet. Here's a pristine 53, above excellent original: https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/53-schwinn-hornet-or-spitfire-nice-survivor.79784/

c35e9c7625461a0dff66a9bb9c0b3c23-1-jpg.jpg
c7e29a73898aa4ff7e8e3cf88669a10e-1-jpg.jpg

Rivnut

I live for the CABE
Nov 24, 2012
Shawnee, United States
Low budget bike, or what Schwinn says, "Popular Priced Model". They also had painted rims and a rolled stem.
In '55, the Schwinn catalog advertised the "Hornet Deluxe" as being equipped with the springer fork, chrome s-2 rims, white sidewall Typhoon tires, a Rocket Ray headlight, a rear rack, and a tank, but alas, a detachable kickstand. the standard "Hornet" had painted rims with blackwalls, a torpedo light, and truss rods, the rear rack, and the tank, but once again, the detachable kickstand. The Spitfire was nothing but a bare bike, with a detachable kick stand.

What I did notice was that the bikes with the detachable kickstands were the only models that were not cantilevered frame models. Any significance to this?

This ad goes away when you register for an account!

GTs58

I'm the Wiz, and nobody beats me!
Sep 2, 2012
Central Arizona
In '55, the Schwinn catalog advertised the "Hornet Deluxe" as being equipped with the springer fork, chrome s-2 rims, white sidewall Typhoon tires, a Rocket Ray headlight, a rear rack, and a tank, but alas, a detachable kickstand. the standard "Hornet" had painted rims with blackwalls, a torpedo light, and truss rods, the rear rack, and the tank, but once again, the detachable kickstand. The Spitfire was nothing but a bare bike, with a detachable kick stand.

What I did notice was that the bikes with the detachable kickstands were the only models that were not cantilevered frame models. Any significance to this?
Maybe Schwinn's bean counter decided what frames will be involved in the Competitive market. The Flying Star frame went from a single bar to a cantilever frame and it still had the cheap stem, bolt on stand and solid color paint but had chrome rims. The evolution of Schwinn's models is pretty interesting and they were always evolving. The Tornado evolved into the Typhoon and that was the bargain basement model of the day. Then it continued on as one of Schwinn's last Middleweight models, still never having a chrome fork crown.

ricobike

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Apr 8, 2014
Evanston, United States
From what I've seen, Schwinn used Atwood stands which were very good quality. I've used them from parted out low end Schwinn bikes to fix Schwinns that had their built in kickstands broken off and they actually seem to work a little better than the built-ins sometimes. Way easier to replace when broken that's for sure.

This ad goes away when you register for an account!