When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why does SPITFIRE models have bolt on kickstands ??????

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

OZ1972

I live for the CABE
If anyone has information on the spitfire models please let me know , i have noticed that they all usually have bolt on kickstands , thanks !!!

My 55 Hornet D65 has what Schwinn then called, a "detachable kickstand" and "enameled S2 tubular rims."

Thanks for the help , it may have been cheaper to have the bolt on stand , i appreciate your fellows input !

It's not exactly basic or cheap route. 55-57 Deluxe Hornet got springer, chrome S2's, tank, Rocket Ray, Rack Optional 52 tooth sprocket and detachable kickstand and I think it kept that kick stand, on all Hornets until 1958.. Also, 55-57 seems to have been a unique frame and fenders as, it's like a heavy weight cross with middle weight B/C, fenders are not 3" balloon wide and not as narrow as middle weight. Which means, the rear fender bridge/bracket is a unique size. So, yeah price point must have had a thing to do with it but, something else was going on too. Maybe Wald or whoever they out sourced them from, snookered em on huge lot in 54 and so, Schwinn got stuck until could off load em all. B/C otherwise, it seems to me, U got more parts/materials and labor than welded standard does/did. I mean, B/C it started in 1955 or, moreover, pre-production planning, 1954, then; WTF was Schwinn thinking? o_O

Last edited:
Don't know WTF they may have been thinking but they carried the detachable kickstand on the Hornets from the balloon model Hornet to the middleweight Hornet.

Don't know WTF they may have been thinking but they carried the detachable kickstand on the Hornets from the balloon model Hornet to the middleweight Hornet.
Yeah, I've seen em but wasn't paying attention. I'd thought you'd meant the heavyweight. Yet here they are. Plus, other than, chain guard and sprocket, they're the same as the Spitfire. And! and, frame and fenders for S2 Balloons are the same as the 55 Deluxe Hornet. Here's a pristine 53, above excellent original: https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/53-schwinn-hornet-or-spitfire-nice-survivor.79784/

c35e9c7625461a0dff66a9bb9c0b3c23-1-jpg.jpg
c7e29a73898aa4ff7e8e3cf88669a10e-1-jpg.jpg

Low budget bike, or what Schwinn says, "Popular Priced Model". They also had painted rims and a rolled stem.
In '55, the Schwinn catalog advertised the "Hornet Deluxe" as being equipped with the springer fork, chrome s-2 rims, white sidewall Typhoon tires, a Rocket Ray headlight, a rear rack, and a tank, but alas, a detachable kickstand. the standard "Hornet" had painted rims with blackwalls, a torpedo light, and truss rods, the rear rack, and the tank, but once again, the detachable kickstand. The Spitfire was nothing but a bare bike, with a detachable kick stand.

What I did notice was that the bikes with the detachable kickstands were the only models that were not cantilevered frame models. Any significance to this?

Back