When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why I Am Afraid To List On The DOND Forum

-

mike1117

Finally riding a big boys bike
First let me say that I used to subscribe and advertise in the old CABE which used to be mailed out to me, I am guessing that was 20-30 years ago. I started following this version on the world wide web many years ago before registering to use. Started posting a couple comments last year, started listing bikes about 6 months ago and have sold everyone that was listed except for one I listed a couple of days ago which is still on here. I have been wanting to try the DOND section, especially for some of my Stingray chainguards and seats I want to sell. So I have been following that site for some time now trying to figure out the correct rules and regulations on that site. Thinking about putting on a few parts later this week when I see my name mentioned in a DOND deal for the 1968 Original Owner Apple Krate bike. It appears there was a lot of bidding on that bike, a lot of back and forth going on before the thread was shut down. One of the threads was made by the seller when someone commented the post should be locked or removed or something like that which the seller posted said. " I wish they would too. I guess I'm not as worthy as Mike 1117 or Bobcycles who got nothing but wonderful comments . Asked for pm responses , and NO published bids.". When I saw that I was so confused as I Mike1117 have never listed an item on the DOND site, and have never even bid or made a single comment/thread on the DOND section. Then I see someone post a thread to comment on what the seller said said, stating this is not about their back door deals but yours (meaning the seller). So now I am wondering how can I be doing a backdoor deal when I have never on the DOND site listed an item, commented on an item, sent a PM to the seller of an item. How do I do a backdoor deal when I have done nothing but viewed items on the DOND site, nothing more. Only thing I have done related to all this was quite a time before this seller listed the bike on DOND he made a post with photos of the bike asking what people thought what the bike was worth if he sold it. It was one of my first responses to anything on the CABE but since I sell a lot of krates I posted that I had a 1968 Orange Krate for sale for $1800 if that helps him. Since that time I have listed my first few bikes for sale on the CABE in the classified section, not the DOND section. And I have asked for PM's from people if they are interested in purchasing since I like to get a phone number and speak to people on the phone if they are interested in a bike I have. I just prefer to give out my phone # in a PM and not in a thread, no big deal I thought. I did not think that if something is not listed in the DOND section it would be wrong to discuss in a PM or on the phone prices to put together a deal. And once it sells I post it as sold, am I required to say the sales price and who bought it. Is it a backdoor deal to do this when an item is not on the DOND site and I am only dealing with one interested party at a time. That is why I am now hesitant to use the DOND site, when I have never even used it and can be accused of doing backdoor deals without even selling, using PM's or commenting on the DOND site. And let me know if I am wrong here, but I do not think in the regular classified section if a seller or buyer use a PM that there is anything wrong with that. It is pretty rough on here when you get dragged into posts by multiple users when you have not even participated in the post, or the DOND forum for that matter. I am sure I will get around to using the DOND section some time in the future, I have read the rules for it, does not seem to difficult. In the meantime I will use the classified section which unless I am wrong gives you the ability to talk with people and put together a deal. Thanks, Mike Taylor.

I saw that deal or no deal listing on that 68 Krate and I’m confused. Or is it you that is confused?

Thank you and I accept your apology, no worries. I am confused as to why the seller brought me into all this. I never had anything to do with that deal, or any DOND deal ever, not even ever commenting on a DOND item but enjoyed watching from afar so to speak what items sold for. And then I see my name in this DOND deal in a thread. How I got dragged into this, yes I am confused. Also am I correct in that a DOND transaction that PM's between the buyer and seller regarding price should not be done, but on a classified ad that is not an auction that prices and possible trades are acceptable in PM's as long as you are not pitting buyers against each other as in a Auction/DOND listing. And in a classified ad a final sales price does not have to be posted when you report an item as sold does it?. Thanks.

-On the phone number: you are entirely correct in not giving it out in a public post.

-The Krate thread in DOND was a dumpster fire. They're not usually that bad, but every so often, they are.

-If you know what you want to get for the parts, just list in the for-sale forum and ask for PM replies if people are interested. It's simpler and less time wasted for everyone if you know what you have and you just want to list. DOND seems most geared to very high end and rare items where setting a value, even for knowledgeable person, is difficult. If that fits your case, then DOND may be the way to go. But if you know what you have and what you want to get for it, just list as a regular for-sale.

Also am I correct in that a DOND transaction that PM's between the buyer and seller regarding price should not be done, but on a classified ad that is not an auction that prices and possible trades are acceptable in PM's as long as you are not pitting buyers against each other as in a Auction/DOND listing. And in a classified ad a final sales price does not have to be posted when you report an item as sold does it?. Thanks.
Yes, this is correct.

Also, when he made the claim that backdoor deals were being done, I have a feeling he was confusing the regular for sale forum with DOND. While it's unfortunate that he needlessly dragged you into it, I'd take what he said with a grain of salt. He publicly acknowledged the DOND rule of no backdoor deals, then later accepted a backdoor deal anyway, and now that he sold his bike, he's gone like a fart in the wind.

First let me say that I used to subscribe and advertise in the old CABE which used to be mailed out to me, I am guessing that was 20-30 years ago. I started following this version on the world wide web many years ago before registering to use. Started posting a couple comments last year, started listing bikes about 6 months ago and have sold everyone that was listed except for one I listed a couple of days ago which is still on here. I have been wanting to try the DOND section, especially for some of my Stingray chainguards and seats I want to sell. So I have been following that site for some time now trying to figure out the correct rules and regulations on that site. Thinking about putting on a few parts later this week when I see my name mentioned in a DOND deal for the 1968 Original Owner Apple Krate bike. It appears there was a lot of bidding on that bike, a lot of back and forth going on before the thread was shut down. One of the threads was made by the seller when someone commented the post should be locked or removed or something like that which the seller posted said. " I wish they would too. I guess I'm not as worthy as Mike 1117 or Bobcycles who got nothing but wonderful comments . Asked for pm responses , and NO published bids.". When I saw that I was so confused as I Mike1117 have never listed an item on the DOND site, and have never even bid or made a single comment/thread on the DOND section. Then I see someone post a thread to comment on what the seller said said, stating this is not about their back door deals but yours (meaning the seller). So now I am wondering how can I be doing a backdoor deal when I have never on the DOND site listed an item, commented on an item, sent a PM to the seller of an item. How do I do a backdoor deal when I have done nothing but viewed items on the DOND site, nothing more. Only thing I have done related to all this was quite a time before this seller listed the bike on DOND he made a post with photos of the bike asking what people thought what the bike was worth if he sold it. It was one of my first responses to anything on the CABE but since I sell a lot of krates I posted that I had a 1968 Orange Krate for sale for $1800 if that helps him. Since that time I have listed my first few bikes for sale on the CABE in the classified section, not the DOND section. And I have asked for PM's from people if they are interested in purchasing since I like to get a phone number and speak to people on the phone if they are interested in a bike I have. I just prefer to give out my phone # in a PM and not in a thread, no big deal I thought. I did not think that if something is not listed in the DOND section it would be wrong to discuss in a PM or on the phone prices to put together a deal. And once it sells I post it as sold, am I required to say the sales price and who bought it. Is it a backdoor deal to do this when an item is not on the DOND site and I am only dealing with one interested party at a time. That is why I am now hesitant to use the DOND site, when I have never even used it and can be accused of doing backdoor deals without even selling, using PM's or commenting on the DOND site. And let me know if I am wrong here, but I do not think in the regular classified section if a seller or buyer use a PM that there is anything wrong with that. It is pretty rough on here when you get dragged into posts by multiple users when you have not even participated in the post, or the DOND forum for that matter. I am sure I will get around to using the DOND section some time in the future, I have read the rules for it, does not seem to difficult. In the meantime I will use the classified section which unless I am wrong gives you the ability to talk with people and put together a deal. Thanks, Mike Taylor.
I found the post that the OP was referencing a bike you sold. He was complaining that you @mike1117 and @bobcycles had done a back door deal because he saw a listing for bikes you both sold in the For Sale section not the DOND. Neither you nor Bob made a back door deal. This is where the OP made his mistake in assuming that all items sold on the CABE were via the DOND forum. He is mistaken not you. As far as I can tell from all of your sales and posts you have done nothing against the rules here on the CABE. Feel free to try out the DOND forum without fear. If you read the directions closely before hand it is hard to make a mistake.

Back