When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why is it MY Fault....

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I've come to regard multi-use path ("bike path" but they're all open to pedestrians, dogs, skateboarders, rollerbladers, etc. here) as a different venture from riding on the road.

Path riding is slower and more wary of people on foot, dogs, etc. It's a leisurely thing. Of all of the things that bug me most, it's dogs and small children (toddlers turned loose on the trail). You just don't know whether an off-leash (or long leash) dog is going to dart out in front of you or lunge at you. You just don't know if someone's 2-year-old is going to wander sideways into your path. So you pass only with great caution.

I do most of my harder exercising/riding on the local roads. Here, pedestrians and dogs are less of an issue, though you still encounter them somewhat. The main concern on the road is getting hit by a car or truck. This kind of riding involves climbing some steep hills and otherwise moving at a much brisker pace. Here the concern is more keeping vehicles away and keeping up your pace.

This is not so much of an angry, dog vs. cyclist relationship, but one of a bond between a rider and a dog along the route.
I rode to work and back, every day, for about 15 years.
One of the spots along my route, was the dog park.
Fortunately, there was a chain link fence between the road and the park.
Most dogs in the park were too busy playing with eachother, to notice me, as I rode past, but there was this Afghan Hound, that would perk up, when he saw me.
So, I started this routine, every morning, when I approached the park, by whistling to get the dogs attention.
Then, I would really get on the pedals and ride as fast as I could.
That dog would run towards the corner of the park, and then sprint with me, as we raced each other to the opposite side of the park.
He would always let out a bark, as we parted company, as though he was saying, “See you, tomorrow.”
This routine went on for a couple of years, and then one day, on my way in to work, I took a spill, and broke two ribs and a collar bone, so I was out of commission for a couple of months.
I didn’t start commuting by bike again, for about six months.
By that time, I hadn’t thought much about my buddy, the Afghan Hound, until the first time, I attempted to ride to work again.
I was just casually riding along, and when I got to the dog park, I looked over to see the activity, and spotted my Afghan buddy.
He perked up and looked at me, like, where have you been?
So, I jumped out of the saddle, and gave him a run for his money.
He let out his customary bark of appreciation, as we parted company, as though he was saying,” It was good to see you again, old friend, thanks for the run.”
We kept that routine up for several more years, whenever we would see each other, but then as time went by, we eventually saw less and less of each other, until we never saw each other again.
I loved that dog, even though, I really didn’t know him at all.
We just had this thing, that made each day a little more interesting, and gave us both something to look forward to.

I am a dog lover and foster dogs for adoption BUT I will not let a dog bite me on the bike path because of a #(#*$&* owner.I have carried a handgun for thugs and animals.I also learned many years ago that attacking dogs do not like Easy Off oven spray to the face. I dont like when dog owners let their dogs off leash or use a leash 20 feet long.

I gave up on riding any trails because of idiots including people that take up the entire trail and people with dogs who will not move out of the way. Not worth it to me. I keep police mace with me and every dog that runs after me gets it. No exceptions. Been bitten and cornered by agressive dogs too often.

...if YOUR dog doesn't like bicycles?

So tired of riding on the street or trail where it's A-OK for bicycles to roll, and some dog walkers animal strains ferociously at their leash to get at me!
AND ITS MY FAULT!!!
And The dog's owner yells Insults at me!!!
Grrrrrr!!!!

GET THAT %$#@& DOG SOME TRAINING OR KEEP IT LOCKED UP!!!!!!

When riding on a trail near my house years ago I announced way ahead of time that I was passing on the left. The guy's little lap dog was not on a leash. I had to come to a complete stop for them. I just gave him a dirty look and went on my way. On my way back it was the same thing. I told him that his dog was supposed to be on a leash. His reply was now we both know that.
On the same trail, I was riding my freshly restored 74 Schwinn Le Tour. I announced to a family of four with a dog that I was passing on the left. To my amazement, they all moved to the right side of the trail. Just as I'm passing the 60-pound kid moves right in front of me! I braked but nailed him. We both went flying. Luckily for me, I landed in the grass. When the dad found out we were both ok he proceeded to rip his kid a new one. He apologized up one side and down the other. I didn't notice until I got home that my NOS brake levers were all scraped up and the handlebar tape was damaged. It was amazing that we both were unhurt because I really did nail him.

Back